New sand and live rock question...

Discussion in 'Sand' started by riverchel, Aug 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. riverchel

riverchel Astrea Snail

So I got about 70lbs of dry rock from reef cleaners and it's been soaking in my tank for a few days now with the filters running. The salinity was at 1.025. We went to the fish store today and bought some live rock to seed the dry rock. We waited to put in our pre-rinsed sand from reef rocks until after we arranged our rockscape.

We got our rockscape looking decent and put in the sand. I have one powerhead running, and I have turned everything else off. The sump has water in it but there is no flow at the moment. I wanted to give the sand a chance to settle. Should I leave it like it is, or should I turn on the rest of the filtration system, or should I turn off the powerhead? Obviously, I'm new at this, and I'm probably worrying too much, but I'm not sure if it really makes a difference. Thanks for the input :goldfish:

First reef tank build 75 gallons

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

good luck!
    I would turn on all the pumps etc. You dont want the water to go stagnate plus it will sedd it just as well with the water going.

Post pictures of your tank........it is a requirement here! LOL

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Great work on the build thread. Tank looks great, but to answer your question, I'd prob run the return pump, let the sand settle just a bit (few hours) then crank up the rest. Keep everything moving!

5. riverchel

riverchel Astrea Snail

Thank you for the quick replies! The pump is back up and running.

Here are the most recent pics

[​IMG]
    This is what we had when we just added the dry rock

[​IMG]
    Here is the most recent...it's cloudy from the sand we just put in this evening, so I'll give it some more time and post another pic when it clears up.

Thanks for the advice. I've seen some say to turn everything off while the sand settles but others say to keep filtration running with live rock, so I guess that's why I was confused. I say people who can run a reef tank successfully are probably some of the most intelligent people out there...this is complicated stuff!!

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol, it can be overwhelimg in the beginning, but then it gets easier, then you decide to switch to leds, and difficult, then easy, then you decide to get the SPS bug, and REALLY difficult for awhile. lol

Most important thing, ask here before you do, for anything. Would've saved me TONS of times, money and issues, and unless you REALLY TRUST your LFS, DONT at all;)