New Rocks and Cure Time

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by hydrologic, Aug 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

THE ISSUE: what is the best way to cure my base rock and/or what is the quickest way?

Hello All,

I have just finished setting up my new tank! I'm very excited about this upgrade. I'm moving from a 30 gallon/10 gallon sump to a drilled 54 gallon corner bow front with a 20 gallon sump. To understand the issue, I must give a smidge of background info.

- I'm moving
    - In my new house, I've set up my new tank
    - Last night on 8/11 I added 30lbs of base rock from reefcleaners.org, water and 20lbs of live sand.
    - I must be out of my old house by 8/31 which is where my well established 30 gallon tank is located.
    - My old tank has a horribly invasive macro algae (caulerpa verticillata) that I refuse to transfer over to my new tank, you can see the thread here
    - I will be using none of the live rock from my old tank and I'm very, very hesitant to use any other live rock in my tank. I really do not want to risk another invasion of macro algae or aiptasia.
    - On 8/30, I will need to transfer into my new tank the following: 1 falco hawk fish; 1 three stripe damsel; 2 ocellaris clowns; one very large long tentacle anemone; a couple a soft coral clippings.

-[/B] I have already added one frozen cube of krill in order to begin the cycle, but I imagine it will take more. Should I add 1 or 2 raw shrimp? I plan on adding a very carefully inspected scoop of live sand from my current set up? Would you recommend this considering I don't want to contaminate my new tank with the nuisance algae?

Thanks in advance for any responses. Oh, and the rock looks great! Thanks John! I'll post a pick of the scape after the water clears.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. hydrologic

Pictures of the new setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

2 weeks should be enough time to colonize some bacteria. If you can set up the rock in something similar to a trickle filter bacteria will grow faster because of the increased oxygen levels.

5. solar0987

solar0987 Astrea Snail

Are you keeping the 30 also?
    And tank looks good :D

Always wanted a corner tank

And i believe the fastest way is with the rock in the tank cycling with the tank.

6. hydrologic

John, sounds good!

Solar0987, I will be selling off the 30/10 to the highest bidder. Unfortunately, I'll be losing tons of soft corals and zoes in the move...they are covered in the nuisance algae

Now that the water has cleared ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344871664.147001.jpg

7. solar0987

solar0987 Astrea Snail

Try dippping the corals in hydrogen peroxide should kill any algae on them or even coral dip.
    Wanna ship them ill dip them lol

Rocks look good id remove the very top little rock it looks out of place

8. Click Here!

9. hydrologic

The dipping is a good idea. Other than hydrogen peroxide, do you have any recommendations for a dip?

Good call on the rock on top, I'll take that down and reposition.