new reefer

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by tharsis, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

Haha yeah my bristle is only a couple inched long right now. I have a tiny brittle star that I saw ONCE and he was the size of a penny, so I am not sure if hes still in there! By the way I love that rock!!! Just love it!

2. Click Here!

3. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks! I had tons of brittle stars come with my rock, they are everywhere. Some fairly big ones too, its rare that I see anything but the wriggly arms though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the big boy

[​IMG]

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Great images tharsis

welcome to 3 reef

Steve

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

looks like some great live rock and overall a very healthy tank!

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

i will be following along ...

7. tharsis

thanks guys! yeah the rock is great, I am a little embarrassed by what I paid for it though at my not so local LFS. $10/pound :-[

But it was chalked full of good stuff so I think it was worth it, atleast that is what I tell my wife.

I have an LFS about 5 minutes from where i live but it is not very good. The tanks are all overridden with aiptasia and the frag tank is abyssmal. i have been getting most of my shrooms there though. I bring in a bunch of my freshwater tank clippings and trade it straight up for shrooms so that is a positive.

The not so close LFS is about 45 minutes away. It is sooo much nicer, great display tanks, awesome selection, knowledgeable staff...but everything seems about 2-3X more than it should be, its a real bummer.

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

that sucks one of my LFS sold 8 pounds of LR for $160!!!:-[

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

at my lfs i get live rock directly from florida for 2.50 a pounds. great stuff. anyways even though the fish at the one lfs may be pricier it will pay off because they will be ehalthier specimens. is it more expensive to buy a 60 dollar fish and have it die or buy a 100 dollar fish that lives to a ripe old age?

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

also what lights do you have over the tank? the color looks great on the rocks.

12. tharsis

yeah 45 minutes from the shop to my tank so there was really no die off...kinda nice. But to be honest I would put up with a mini cycle if I were able to save $8 a pound lol.

And I agree about the price/quality, I don't think I will buy anything other than shrooms at the place near my house.

I see you are in Denver, I am just outside of Cortez, about 45 minutes from Durango. i wish I was closer to Denver it seems like there are a lot of good stores in the area.

My lights are just a cheapo odyssea t5HO fixture. $50 for a 20" 4 bulb set-up with led moonlights. i have the stock bulbs, 2 x 10000K and 2 x actinics. The fixture is pretty decent actually I am pretty happy with it. Someone on nano-reef looked at the spectrum of the bulbs and said they were pretty good so I think I will keep them until they need to be replaced, but the ballast is apparently pretty cheapo.