New Reefer Rant

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by chanceafrance, Nov 24, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chanceafrance

chanceafrance Plankton

I’m just going to dive in with a thousand and one questions. I jumped in with little money and less experience, but everyone’s gotta start somewhere… right? Things are going well so far. Feel free to add your critiques.
    <br />
    <br />
    55gal
    Amm 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5
    Gravity 1.025
    Calcium ~500ppm
    Alk ~1000
    Temp 76-81 F I’ve heard this is just fine and this a terrible fluctuation. My Aqueon 200w heater doesn’t do any better.
    <br />
    <br />
    Dosing SeaChem phytoplankton (one capful twice a week) to promote the copepod population (no terrible algae problems yet, I don’t turn my skimmer off so maybe nothing is happening?)
    <br />
    <br />
    I filled the tank with Reef Crystals and Minneapolis tap water in late September. No problems with the water or algae blooms so far. I’ve been using Petco seawater at $2 a gallon for weekly 5gal water changes to avoid buildup of tap water impurities. Anyone know anything about Petco tap water? I read it’s from too close to shore in Cali to be very good, but I’m in Minnesota so I’m not sure.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I’m running a Seaclone100 protein skimmer, and I understand that it sucks. I already returned the first one within the two month return policy, and will be doing so again in another two months. Hopefully I’ll have the funds to upgrade by then. In addition I have a 150GPH water pump that I aim willy-nilly. I hear off the glass is best, but my pump isn’t that powerful so maybe more of a direct blast?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Lights, hear me out. I only have button polyps and colt coral, so it’s not that important right? Anyway, I’m running two 36watt full spectrum T5 flourescents 12 hours a day, and then a blue/white 10 watt LED light during 12 hours at night. The LED is more for mood lighting, is it a problem to have it on at night? I figured any extra light helps since I don’t exactly have a lot. I’m planning on getting real lights, right after I get a better skimmer…<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Only 10 lbs of liverock so far. I paid $12 a lb for two pretty purple and green rocks from A World of Fish. The nitrogen cycle was a success in spite of my pathetic amount of liverock after about two weeks. <br />
    Some hitchhikers I found just recently while cleaning include a red caterpillar looking worm, and some probable feather dusters (or weird snails that look like little hard tubes on the liverock). A patch of dark green (hair?) algae is growing on a small corner, could this become a problem? I have lots of what look like roots running through my liverock. Any idea what they might be? It’s definitely dead now.<br />
    I just used rocks outside and some to layer the bottom and make a nice little cave. I keep rearranging things on impulse. Is this okay, or am I risking my animals’ health by constantly moving things around?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I added a fire shrimp (from Petco, I suck I know) two weeks in. He’s molted twice now, and he seems to be doing well. I hand feed him flakes, and he’s my favorite. I meant to buy a $10 shrimp and when he rang up at the register he was $37. Needless to say I’m stoked he’s still alive. I didn’t get any snails for my CUC. I just don’t like snails. Should I get snails?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    A week later came the Banggai pair. I definitely added them too soon I know. A World of Fish had a pair for $100, but my cheap *** got a pair from Petco for $30. They love frozen brine shrimp and baby brine shrimp but won’t touch flakes. I’ve been heavily feeding them, and I have brine shrimp eggs on hand in case I ever see a mouth bulging with babies. Any suggestions to encourage this? <br />
    I have an upside down heated two liter with an airstone for the BBS. I tried using light to separate the BBS from the old eggs but have had zero success. I just pour it in slowly and most of the eggs stick to the sides of the 2 liter. It seems to be working. I hope I’m not doing it wrong?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Onward with my terrible decisions! Two weeks later (~3 weeks ago) I bought a $15 (colt?) coral frag from Petco, and the guy gave me a button polyp frag for free. I figure I’ll never know if coral will live in my tank until I try. The button polyp has been doing well, although it’s reaching for the light quite a bit? Or is that just how they look?<br />
    The colt coral is all over the place. From what I’ve read that’s just kind of what they do sometimes, but also could be because my water quality sucks. It’s slumped over shriveled up with no polyps, and a few hours later 4x bigger and covered in polyps. Not sure what to make of it? I recently aimed the pump at it to avoid a mucus build up, but it doesn’t necessarily like the current. Should I run the pump on and off every half hour, or just during the day, or not aim it so directly at the colt coral? Not sure if having inconsistent currents like on a real reef actually matters or if a constant current does the same? The Banggai’s also seem to enjoy the extra current as compared to without it. I hope dosing the phytoplankton helps both of these corals either directly or in a round-a-bout way.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    As I read about Banggai babies I came across the longspine urchin. They were $15 at Petco so I once again jumped in and got one about a week after the coral. He’s been cleaning my liverock and glass and is so cool. He bumped a frag but hasn’t knocked any over yet. He’s really small right now, but I think he may need a bigger tank someday if he gets huge? Does anyone know how long that usually takes? I’d like to upgrade eventually anyway. I spot fed him a few algae pellets right when I got him, is this necessary or should there be plenty of coralline for him in general?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    My last addition was just four days ago. I noticed I had an absurd amount of copepods on my glass and rocks, so I thought my tank would be able to support a dragonet in spite of the warning that you should wait months before adding one. This time I went to my new favorite LFS called Aquatropics. They only sell marine fish and coral and have a beautiful shop. I went in with the intention of buying a green mandarin, but the one in the tank just didn’t look the same as the internet. He was dull and didn’t move or eat at all which from what I’ve read is a huge red flag? Anyway I noticed the ruby red dragonet and decided it was BEAUTIFUL, and it was eating! And better yet they had a pair! So instead of one $30 difficult to care for fish, I walked away with two $40 difficult to care for fish.<br />
    I am under the impression that you shouldn’t quarantine dragonets if you can’t feed them properly, so I didn’t. So far one of them is eating quite a lot of the copepods, but the other has mostly just been hiding in one spot. I read this is normal, but I am concerned about the one. They are just under an inch long and so damn cool. The Fire Shrimp actually cleaned the bolder one. Is there anything I should know about these guys? <br />
    I figure as long as I see copepods they must be fine. I also feed BBS to the tank as a backup food source (the Banggai’s love the BBS and I know button polyps can eat them too).<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I’m going to try to wait awhile to add another fish. I know I rushed it a bit, and I‘ll need to set up a quarantine for any newcomers now that I have some $ in fish in there. I’m planning on avoiding Petco for future purchases as well, although my local one has a very dedicated employee.<br />
    But when I do get another fish, what should I get? I need a centerpiece, and I want something big. Most people would say tangs need a little more space. I’ve read a flame angel would do just fine, but the guy at Aquatropics said they needed at least 75g? This same sort of fine line seems to be drawn for a whole bunch of fish. So what do you guys think would work well? If my colt coral and button polyps do well I hear they can actually become a problem, so coral nibblers aren’t necessarily out of the question. I was thinking I could get a little saddle puffer at the risk of my fire shrimp, or even a dwarf lionfish at the risk of my red dragonets? Or is a dwarf angel a better bet? Another LFS said a (I assume dwarf) yellow angel they had would do fine?<br />
    Other additions could be some pretty rainbow looking wrasse or a hawkfish. Would all filefish take out my shrimp or are any small enough?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Any other cool invertebrates that I could look into? I’ll look into coral if I see success in my current frags and upgrade my lights.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    On a side note, Aquatropics sells Macroalgae. Should I buy some? Or would it just be weird in my main tank since I don’t have a sump?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Anyway there’s my rant. Thanks for your input!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

As long as you keep your bioload low dosing phyto shouldn't be a problem but over time you may need to limit or stop its introduction.
    Sea Clown you know about.Look for a good used one.I have 3 if your interested. pm me.lol
    Lights.As long as your corals look healthy they should be fine.Moonlights are typically all blue as fish cannot see blue wavelengths but as long as the white leds arent too bright it should be fine.
    With such a small ammount of lr I would avoid moving it around.Brine shrimp and eggs have a very limited ammount of nutrition.If your fish wont accept flakes try some frozen Mysis or blended frozen fish foods.Most snails need algae to live if you dont have enough or the right kind they will starve so its a delicate balance.I have no cuc in my current tank.Urchins need fresh algae so pellets or strips of nori rubber banded on a small rock is ideal.All corals need to adjust to new conditions whether it be flow,lighting,or water parameters.You definitely could use more flow.Random is best.Night time flow is important to stabilise ph.Dragonettes wil decimate the pod population in short order so adding live copepods or getting them to eat some kind of prepared foods will be necessary.Dwarf angels are known to pick at corals sometimes and your tank is a tad small imo.No lionfish if you value your shrimp and other small fish.Most larger fish need alot of space so your choices are limited.I would just stick to a few smaller fish and forget about the "show" fish until you upgrade.Hawkfish can get pretty aggressive.

DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  4. chanceafrance

chanceafrance Plankton

Thanks a lot for all the help. I put a 10g sump together today and was going to get some live copepods to add to it.

From the feedback I've gotten I won't be adding any fish for awhile. I plan on getting some more water pumps and live rock this weekend. I'll keep giving my urchin algae pellets from time to time as well.

I have a variety marine cuisine frozen pack, but for some reason the Banggai's just aren't interested in anything but plain brine shrimp? I'm working on getting the dragonets to eat frozen food like the LFS said they did. It's just hard to tell, they're so small.

Thanks again

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

How big/gallon is the Display Tank?

Welcome to 3Reef

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid