New reactors and the slimes on the retreat

Discussion in 'Algae' started by devlzluv, Jul 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

I can say that the dev is winning the battle after I took a step and added a ghetto carbon reactor and a aquavue phsoban reactor. No lie after I woke up this morning from my carbon ive never seen my tank look so clear (cant wait till its like a month later). The slime is on the retreat, its stringing up like when I put chemiclean in it. I believe my phosphates were way to high and same with nitrates and now my tang is starting to eat the cyano, idk why but hes a goofy fat ass that will eat anything I put into the tank. Im quite happy that I may have figured this out woot, here are some pics, o ya the reactor is the pump and soda bottle!

Before
    [​IMG]

After (only been 3 days)
    [​IMG]

not kidding the settign were same on the camera and I took multiples of the before and all looked the same, so all you wondering if the ghetto bottle reactor works heres proof

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Glad to hear you got it under control.Additives will clear it up but to get rid of it you have to get to the root of the problem. Phosphates and nitrates will be high and not read on the tests for them because the algae/bacteria are using them for food. Like has been said you have to take away their "food" and starve them out which is what you are doing. I hate putting any chemical in a tank that does not belong. Carbon does make a difference in the water clarity,noticed a big difference when I added it. Looking good Dev.

4. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

Thanks, im just happy it was the phosphates, now just need to figure out how they got that high in the first place and your right they were undetectable. I truly believe since my tank is still new and the coraline really hasnt got established yet to counteract the whole tank but its gettign there