New project with state funds.....= )

Discussion in 'Coral' started by OoNickoC, Feb 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I get to play with a reef tank at school for units. I am mulling over the ideas of what to put insed there after i win the Aiptasia battle(yes i will win, "failer is not an option"). Ive  got a 90 gal oceanic, 3 maxi jet 1200's, a euro reef skimmer, unkown wavemaker/timer, and 2 hoods, one with 4 96 watt PC and the other with 2. Tank is presumed very stable, its been up for over 4 years and had no corals or fish for over one....just LS LR and more aiptasia than i care to ever see. Presuming the aps are eliminated or under control.....what do you guys think should go in there? Im leaning toward simple things.....shrooms, zo's, and LPS.....and softies. SPS are outta the question due to budget constraints and timeframe. Im searching for donatuons (corals,polyps) and have documentaion to prove thier use will be for my college. Ive got alot of ideas but can never have enough......thanks guys.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I like your choices for corals.
    Sounds like a good setup.

4. OoNickoC

Thanks Matt. I just got back from class and it is not a 90 gal.....rather a 75 gallon.....way off on my part :-/ Ill post pics on friday of the tank in its current state and progress pics through the semester.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

If you get rid of the aptasia, I'll donate some zo's and shrooms. I think I'll have a nice toadstool (long polyp) really soon as well (when I break down the 29g).

6. OoNickoC

Great! I plan on begining the juice party this friday....I dont think they can be completley eliminated but brought under a managable rate. I just performed a full water test and all the numbers came back good....what are your opinions on the ap......do you think total anihalation is necessary? Or rather limited to well away from the corals...?

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I like total devistation when it comes to ap's. If it were me, I'd get yourself a bag of peppermints (since you work for a LFS) and throw them in for a week or two (catch most of em out and sell them back to the store). Keep a few around after that, i doubt they'll come back. Keep the food in the water column down, thats the biggest ap boomer around.

8. Click Here!

9. OoNickoC

Well i am at school and just passed my prof.....he says he wants to keep some of the ap's for study....so im gonna set up a 2.5 galloin with a bit of LR and LS for him iguess as i too would perfer a 100% mortality rate in the tank proper...Im going to class in like 15 mins and am going to get alot done...sump design...juicing....and pics of the tank and some DT's with the "video scope" oh ya and lab....

10. OoNickoC

Well.....i started juicing, i took a shot of one of the rocks with average aip. coverage.....

Attached Files:

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Man you have your work cut out for you! Good luck.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You sure that's not a pic of my tank.

Boy oh boy. I feel for you I'm having a hell of a time with them JJ takes care of the ones I can reach but as long as there are some I can't reach there is no hope of eradication only control and maintenance.

J