new powerpump doupts

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by m_lacom99, Nov 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hi, i bought a new powerhead yesterday. its an Astral or Atlas (dont remember exactly, will check when i get home tonight) but anyways i cant seem to find any info on them on the web. I was reading on the box and it said "USE ONLY IN FRESHWATER" :eek:... Dont know why??? its build the same way as my aquaclear 402... nothing special about it... ill give my LFS a call tonight to try to figure out more.. just wanted your opinion.

Thanks

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Weird. Perhaps it has a delicate impeller?
    Never heard of that brand either.
    I am curious what the lfs says.

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

will keep you posted Matt

Marc

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

ok little update on the powerhead (i know the title says powerump??? :-/... must of been tired or something) went to my LFS to see if it was ok for saltwater. the guy told me it was fine and that they had allot people asking the same question so they called there supplier and they said it was fine. So everything is ok.

Now, i bought this powerhead to replace an old aquaclear 402 that was squirting out air every 5 seconds or so. thought the 402 was getting old or something. But the new one is doing the same thing, not as much but still. So i went back to my LFS to ask what was going on...

The guy told me it shouldnt be... duh!!!! and as we were discussing the matter the fact that bubbles come out of where the power cord come in the housing when i put it in the water came up. (still following me here ::) ). Not supposed to do that the guy told me.... but all my powerheads do that, i have 4; 2 fluval (i think, there is no name on them, 1 aquaclear and the new atlas) i thought it was normal for the water to go in there and thats how the motor staid cool...

So the guy suggested to throw them away and buy new ones... of coarse... But i would like a second opinion from you guys and gals here on 3reef. Is this normal??? If its not ill try putting some silicon so the air doesnt come out. I just dont know anymore... i just want the micro bubbles to go away...

Thanks...

Marc.

P.S Or if anyone have a good suggestion on replacing the powerheads that would still give me the water movement i need please let me know

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Marc,

I guess you would expect some air to come out of where the powercord goes in initially but it should subside.  Are the bubble coming out under pressure?

I'd still be a bit wary of the powerhead that stated " for freshwater only ", it could have aluminium parts in it that would corrode in Saltwater but not Freshwater, anyway, and I hate saying this, but I wouldn't trust your LFS bloke as far as I could kick him :)

Suggestions on replacing powerheads?  Sure, how much time to you have, or more to the point how much money?  LOL

Ever considered using a larger pump in a closed circuit arrangement, maybe with just one inlet and more outlets?

John

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

thanks John, Yes the air comes out under pressure. A closed circuit means that i would have to drill my tank to look good if not i would have pipes all over the place and im just not ready to that. If i were to replace the powerheads what brand would you suggest?

Thanks

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

m_lacom99,

Maybe a bit of sealer would be in order then :)

I like the maxi jets, but I don't have the choices that you people do :)

John