New Poster, New to Hobby, New Tank Start

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Guest, Sep 26, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Salutations from PNW...found forum yeterday and have spent "hours" going thru all the informative posts...

So much great info here, esp as I am starting up first marine (reef) system...based only on knowledge gained from web.

LR arrived yesterday...in tank now (55 gal) with a skilter 400 running smoothly (I think). Material seemed to need little preparation (was sold as precured) so just basically rinsed it off in bucket and into tank it went.

Got a test kit and went thru all the basic tests, Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite and recorded in log I will try to keep regularly...Am not certain what I should expect to see in these starting stages...

But is exciting for whole family - two daughters ages 9/10 doing the "testing" and recording. All seem to have great "expectations" - of course which I hope to fulfill by paying close attention here...

Need for "patience" understood by all.

Any early advice for "beginner" greatly appreciatated.

Rgds,

OmarD

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Greetings and congratulations!

For a beginner you seem to have a good grasp on things. Testing, patience and lots of live rock is a good start! ;D

With a new tank, ammonia and nitrites are something to look out for the 1st month or so.

My only advice would be to ask a lot of questions and keep reading.

Good luck!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hello again,

Have begun a "web" record of the family "reef tank adventure"

Is at: http://members.tscnet.com/pages/omard1/aquarium.htm

Place where I can keep notes, add new bits of info and adjust plans...

As you can see --- lots of ?'s --- will post them here as needed "answer" comes due...if I have not already found it elsewhere on forum.

Very easy I see for newcomer to be totally "overwhelmed" by mass of information and the "contradictory" nature of much of it. ---

So plan is to go slow...try and not make any "big" mistakes and ask lots of questions (oh, and trying to keep it "simple" as I can till knowledge curve is not so steep...)

Time permitting, please (anyone) do quick review of progress and "plans" posted on above website..."Any" advice /comments gratefully accepted.

OmarD

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Omard, Web site looks great.  Too bad about the filter.  I would suggest at this stage it would be best to drain the water into buckets and pull the tank out now instead of later.  most water changes are only 10%.  Any more than that and you could do more harm than good.  Plus moving a tank with any water in it really isn't recommended.  If the rock were to shift while moving you could end up with all the sand rock and water on your living room floor.  Plus the weight of the water will stress the joints and down the road you may have a leak.
    I know it sounds like a horrible job but I would do it now instead of later.

Good luck
    J

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks "Jakets" --- (almost "neighbor")

Sound advice...will drain, remove LR and move all (tank/filter/skimmer) tonight after work...

Not to worry about "sounding like a horrible job" --- any kind of "interaction" with the system is pretty exciting for us "beginners" - is just difficult to just walk by it without wanting to 'monkey" with it "somehow"

“Impatiently” trying to be “Patient”

OmarD
    Silverdale, WA

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@"Jackets"

Deed done...you were right --- probably much easier to do now then later...

Everyone (esp. wife) much happier with what this new "intrusion" looks like in living room... (was a noisy, water filled box with funny things hanging off front, filled with what looked like "Moon Rocks") - now is a thing of beauty...even without much "life" in it yet...posted "new look" on web page...

Now I guess it really is just a matter of sitting back and waiting...

PS: I am (anyway) ...really impressed by the Moon-Lite hood that arrived in mail today...hope is adequate for plans in future...raises many new questions...will post later.

Thx again.

OmarD

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Looking really good Dave.
    I love the lights really low profile. If you saw the monstrosity that is my light set-up you'd scream.
    I'm glad you moved it now rather than latter.

Are you going with no sand on the bottom or are you still waiting for that?

Have to say seeing my name on your web site freaked me out but Thanks

J

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Have 60 lbs of "Argonite" sand sitting here waiting to go into tank...was not certain if should go in now or after lr goes thru its cycling process first??? --- Somewhere I got the impression that the lr needed to go thru process, then you put in sand and "aquascaped" rock...???

Should it go in now...and all get done together? - again am quite confused about "correct" steps here...seems I read one thing "here" and another "there"...

Would sure look nicer with sand in now...will do if not any disadvantages...

OmarD

11. Jason McKenzie

I would put the sand in now. First take a little water out and put it with your rock. Follow the instructions on the bag of sand. If it says rinse I would rinse like crazy. Rinsing sand it tough to do. I don't think I really know the best way to do it.

Dump the sand in. The slower you do it the less sand will cloud your tank. Many people use a small cup and lower a cup full at a time.
    Your tank will cloud but just let the skimmer/filter going and it will clear in no time. you may want to take out any carbon or anything also you may be running in your filter.

I would get the rock back it right away then arrange it nicey nice once the water has cleared.

I no time your going to have your tank full of fish and inverts

J

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Added sand, "Light" question"???

Drained out about 1/2 water...removed lr (again) - added 60 lbs Aragamx Sand (LiveAquaria) - Replaced water/lr.
    Also set up "Moon-Lite" - added timer, 2nd power strip...The light/hood has 3 power cords coming from it...one for two 65 watt 10,000K bulb, one for two 65 watt Ultra-Actinic bulb, and one for four MoonLites (have not seen so many power plugs coming out of 1 device since front of pickup truck while living in Fairbanks, AK)...connected the two florescent "light plugs" (separate cords & controls) to the "timer" and 2nd power strip...connected the "Moon-Light" cord to "continuous" power strip...They will stay on all the time, while the others turn on and off depending on timer...(hood also as elect. exhaust (quiet - but quite powerful) fan that turns on when 10K bulbs are turned on.

??? - What light settings should be set for rest of "cycling" process - some say "no lights" - reducing initial algae threats - but seems like some light might help it along, not to mention being beneficial to any coral/other things that still may be "alive" on rock...??? -

PS: Rinsed, Rinsed & Rinsed sand in bucket before adding to tank...still cloudy after 12 hours...lots of very "fine" particulate clogging filters and floating around tank...learned it was very important to "turn off" filter before trying to remove and rinse off filters...otherwise "matter" quickly just runs back in tank...is clearing but slowly...obviously in need of more lr...also...getting 1st "Nitrite Readings"...SOMETHING IS STARTING TO HAPPEN!!! - "WAHOO"!!! - on the way now...