new pet

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Toallhisdoom, Jul 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So my gf found this guy yesterday, Gray tree frog, well its actually a she! thank god because the females make no noise! haah

Any ideas for a tank setup? currently he is in a 15gal tank with some drift wood and a bowl of water and some small crickets. haha

and when i got home, as soon as i picked her up, she projectile pissed on me. i prefer my fish...

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

cute frog, but i thought the frog slime on the yellow part of the leg was poisonous/toxic?

4. Toallhisdoom

well shes still alive! but on a serious note, their are no poisonous frogs native to north america with the exception of the pickerel frog(when stressed releases toxin poisonous to other frogs, and can cause slight irritation to humans).

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

thats crazy my nephew found a salamander just the other day, and our threads are titled practically the same haha. the setup he is in now sounds adequate, but its always fun to spend some time on it.

6. Toallhisdoom

yea i saw your setup! that is pretty cool! makes me want to almost do that with fish in the bottom and the frog up top! :p but do i really need another tank to clean? haha

7. Toallhisdoom

be carefull!

Toxicity
    Many newts produce toxins in their skin secretions as a defence mechanism against predators. Taricha newts of western North America are particularly toxic. The Rough-skinned newt Taricha granulosa of the Pacific Northwest produces more than enough tetrodotoxin to kill an adult human, and some Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest used the toxin to poison their enemies.[10] However, the toxins are only dangerous if ingested, and the newts can easily and safely live in the same ponds or streams as frogs and other amphibians, or be safely kept as pets. The only predators of Taricha newts are Garter snakes, some having developed a resistance to the poison. Most newts can be safely handled, provided that the toxins they produce are not ingested or allowed to come in contact with mucous membranes, or breaks in the skin.[10] After handling, proper hand-washing techniques should be followed due to the risk from the toxins they produce and bacteria they carry, such as salmonella.[11][12] It is, however, illegal to handle or disturb Great crested newts in the UK without a licence.[13] Newts and salamanders are also very good environmental indicators because of their thin, sensitive skin. Most species are highly sensitive to subtle changes in the pH level of streams and lakes they live in. Because their skin is permeable to water they absorb oxygen and other substances they need through their skin. Scientists will study the stability of the amphibian population when studying the water quality of a particular body of water.[citation needed]

wikipidia

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Very cool! He should be okay in the 15 gallon, unless you buy a terrarium kit. Just make sure he has enough room to jump around freely. You should put an inch or two of additive-free substrate. You should also clean the tank often. You can use real or artificial plants for decoration. They should definitely have some branches for climbing and perching. The wider the branch, the better. It will make the frog feel more secure. Make sure to keep a water in there to help with humidity. If possible, put a black or green background on one side of the tank. That will also help her feel secure. You are also going to want a heat source, so use lighting for reptiles. They also don't like temperature swings and flashing lights, so don't keep them near windows and TV's.

Here's some more info if you need it:

Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding

10. Toallhisdoom

from what i had read, these frogs do not need a heat source. If it gets 2 cold they will go into hibernation(around 50deg) but my house is always around 70 so she should be fine all year long.

and i am going to get some peat moss for substrate and get her some more branches.

11. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Sounds like a plan 8)

12. Toallhisdoom

and maybe a friend or 2 if we find them lol