New Naso Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by stonewilled, Oct 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

I just got this Naso Tang. What does this look like? It has faint white spots on one side(its right side).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Doesn't really look like ich, it's too big. My guess would be injury/abrasions from netting.
    What I can tell you is that it is very, very thin. Feed nori sheets at least twice a day every day until you get it looking nourished again. And be prepared to either upgrade or trade it in a very short time. A 75 isn't nearly large enough for a Naso, and they grow very quickly.

4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Not sure about the spots. Could be ick. But that tang looks a little too thin. Try dosing his food with garlic to get him to eat.

5. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Hah, posted at the same time.

6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Wow, easily the skinniest live naso I have ever seen . . . was it imported from ethiopia? I would get some selcon and garlic added to anything this guy eats. start off with the nori, then try some formula 2 pellets, mysis, brine, rods food . . . anything with protein to pack on some weight (supplemented with plenty of greens of course).

Those spots look like some kind of abrasion to me, cant be for sure on what they are tho.

~Will.

7. stonewilled

It won't eat nori. I've had nori on a clip in the tank several times. It will eat ocean nutrition formula 2 pellets, but not very aggressively. Not sure what to do to get it to eat Nori. You really think a 75 isn't big enough for a naso?

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I personally think a 180 is too small for a naso let alone a 75. Have you ever seen an adult in person?? They get huuuge, not only in length either, they are a pretty bulky fish (usually). I have seen a 14" naso make an 8' 300 gallon tank look cramped.

~Will.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Not even close. Remember that Naso's routinely get to 18" in captivity. Kept permanently it needs a 7-8' long tank or bigger.
    Try soaking the nori in garlic, and try some frozen algae foods. If you can't get it eating quickly it's not going to last much longer.
    What was it eating at the LFS?

1 person likes this.
  11. stonewilled

I bought the fish from saltwaterfish.com they were selling them for 20 bucks. They had minimum tank size at 75gallons.. the bastards... damn amazon phenomenon or whatever its called, so how do I go about trading this thing, I doubt the woman at my local store will do trades...

12. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

It wouldn't hurt to call and ask about bringing it in.
    Saltwaterfish.com is notorious for unhealthy livestock. You may also try contacting them, but Im not sure what good it would do since you already accepted the package/fish.

1 person likes this.