New Member - New Project

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo31, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

Thanks you so much,
    I will now go away and do my testing !!

I'll also post some pictures tonight of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

yep sorry to burst your bubble Jebo=Junk-o I think that's Chinese for "Haha Sucker, we got your money!" :lol: I have one that I would have sold ya, for mere pennies, heck just the shipping LOL!

4. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

In Need Of Help !

Please see the pictures of the tank.

I am getting very high nitrite & nitrate levels.:-[
    I have lost two fish so far.:cry:
    The filter should have had its cycle by now ?:-/ I do have small pockets of algae growing.:-[
    The remaining fish seam fine, hardy little buggers !:eek:

This morning i done a 50% water change and just waiting for half an hour for the tank to settle so i can check all my levels again.

I cannot get hold of any cleaner crew out here, everyone say’s “One Week” but that was 3 weeks ago.
    Please can you help by letting me know:
    1) What cleanup crew will help eat the crap of the bottom of the tank, eat the algae, help with keeping natural levels in the tank.
    2) What is the best way of keeping my levels in check ? Everything seemed to be going well and then BAM everything f-+ed up !
    Please if anyone can now give me either a thread to read or some advice or something I would be grateful

Would coral help with the levels in the tank ???

Cheers

Attached Files:

5. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

just checked my levels again, even though a 50% water change is has not gone down as much as i would have liked, still very high ? what next ?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

What are your parameters? Whats the problem that your having? Luna

7. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I think the problem is he is going wayyyyy too fast.

On April 8 water is poured in the tank and sand from the "beach". This may be problem number 1.

On April 12 adds inverts, coral and does a water change. May be problem number 2.

On April 27 does another 50% water change and somewhere between April 8 and 27th adds more fish. May be problem number 3.

Parameters are going way out of whack, the tank is wanting to cycle but being prevented from doing so by constant water changes, introduces what may very well be contaminated sand from the local beach.

@ nemo31:
    Man, you have to slow down. You have to give your new system a chance to go through a natural process of creating and completing a cycle.

If I were in your shoes I would start all over again and read some very helpful tips written on this forum for doing things properly from the start. Otherwise you're only asking for problems to happen. And this will frustrate you and turn you off about the salt water hobby.

By no means am I being critical of you. I just want to stress that you are going way to fast. Slow it down and start asking allot of questions before you make the next move in the initial set-up of your piece of the ocean. There's allot of knowledge and helpful members in this forum.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If what Snake is saying is true, dude your going to have a very bumpy ride. Before you start this hobby, you need to acquire a special attribute called patience. Trust me I know, I was the most impatient man alive. I dont know who is telling you how to start a SW tank, but I dont think it was anyone from here, probably your LFS. The cycling of a tank CAN last up to 12 weeks, in which, the 1st month should be without any livestock. You can add ONE fish after that month, but thats it. The reason is very simple, fish product the most waste(bio load) of all livestock, the bacteria that converts the waste to Nh3/4 then to No2 and then to No3 needs time to grow(cycling period). As you introduce more fish, that bacteria needs to catch up with that new bio load. Thats why it is recommended to introduce ONE fish at a time with at least 2-3 weeks in between them.
    As for the "freebie" stuff from the beach(sand), thats a no-no. I know how tempting it is to just reach out your hands and take it from the shore line or from the ocean but thats just playing russian roulette. I think that Snake makes a good point, you should start from scratch again. Ask your LFS to hold on to your livestock while you start over again. Please read this web site to give you a better understanding about the hobby. It even has a glossary and with definitions. Saltwater Aquarium Setup Guide The better you understand this hobby and how it works, the more success you will have, not to mention the money that you will be saving and the lives of the creatures you will also save. I really hope this helps you. Luna

10. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

+1 to luna.

nemo31 i am a big newbie to this hobby and my first set up on my 20g was a disaster i would lose a fish and think i got a bad one from the store go buy a new one... long story short a lot of money wasted. I would just sit back not test the tank and let it ride for a month. Then test the tank and see where you are. What is done is done just slow it down and you will be ok.

I am still and impatient guy and sometimes rush stuff and normally get bad results but you learn from doing or reading...

Chin up and let it ride.

11. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

I will post levels today of the tank.
    I used sand from the beach as no one here sold sand !
    The sand was washed before it was added.
    I think your right on the cycle of the tank, i was working a bit too fast.

12. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Im with everyone else who rushed...killed fish and inverts cause i had no patience. Here is an example of a tank u could set up for around a 1000 dollars....equipment fish and all.
    This tank eventually costed me 4000 dollars and all i got was a lesson in patience. This was my first 29 gallon tank:

[​IMG]

now here is my girlfriends 10 gallon...set up for about 300 bux with patience:

[​IMG]

Good luck with yours