New Member 180 gallon Just setup ** Spike Question **

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by qualitydaydream, Nov 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

I can't believe I missed this one but.... 1 x med size angel of some sort?? I think based on the type of live stock that you are leaning toward you should abandon the idea of a reef tank.

If you are dead set on keeping the eel, then I would design the tank and live stock around him, I consider eels a specialty animal and they have unique requirements to keep them out of the overflows... and more important off the floor.

4. qualitydaydream

qualitydaydream Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks PDCCO,

I made an error the med size angel is actually a BiColor Angel. My 3 medium sized fish are Purple Tang, BiColor Angel and Pacific Blue Tang.

What makes you think I should abandon the idea of a reef tank? I would rather find the fish a new home than do that. What fish do you see an issue with?

The eel is eating well, we have a nice hood cover for the tank so no escaping there but I am curious to as what you mean about specialty animal and any specific concerns I should have.

5. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

What I mean about the eel being a "Specialty Animal" is that they require more than the usual care and feeding. In a tank that size that eel could grow fairly large and will consume any fish that it can swollow, it will also go after your clean up crew. Eels also have the habbit of getting into places where you don't want them. Is your tank pre-drilled or are you using an overflow system?? Either way you will need to take steps to keep him out of there... trust me the eel will find its way into them.

As far as abandoning the reef idea, I don't know enough about the rest of your setup; lighting, filters, etc... Just based on the live stock from your original post corals don't seem like a good idea for you.

6. Viper3166

Viper3166 Feather Duster

Welcome to 3reef, pics please.

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Let us know how it goes.
    Missionsix66 said it best:

"I can see problems happening very fast with your livestock and wallet.

If you are serious about having corals, you'll most likely have to give up the angelfish as they often nip at corals.

8. Click Here!

9. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

You MUST research before you buy any fish.
    You will see a spike.
    Stuff probably will die.
    You need to slow down.
    Take a break do some research.
    I highly suggest you read Bob Fenners general aquarium keeping book before making any more purchses. read for at least a month before you buy anything more

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Welcome!!

When you buy rock, I would suggest buying pre-cured base rock or dry base rock and curing it yourself. This is much cheaper than live rock and servest the same purpose, it just takes a little time to become live. Like everyone else said, go slow and research. If I were you I wouldn't add another single thing besides some more rock for a good 6-8 weeks. That will give you time to let the tank settle in to it's new home and for you & your wife to do some more research. (Include your wife in the research part, sounds like she might need it more than you!) Also, as a general rule of thumb, you should add 1 fish at a time then wait 3-4 weeks before adding another. This rule applies to new and old systems alike. Finally, don't hesitate to talk to Otty! He also has a large tank (265g) and I must say it is the most immaculate system I have had the pleasure seeing! Also, read through Kogle's 180 diary to see what can happen if things go bad... not worth the risk IMO! GOOD LUCK, I look forward to seeing some pics!!

11. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Well I would like to tell you that you are going the wrong way, I too when I started brought home a few too many fish to only watch them die within a week.

As for the "what not to do thread" you would like to make; well there is already one since people have made this mistakes here is the thread if you would like to read it (http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/how-not-set-up-your-first-reef-tank-46720.html)

take your time...

1 person likes this.
  12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Well put.

We are not trying to be harsh by the way, but us regulars have seen it happen many times and try to warn of what could happen.