New Member 180 gallon Just setup ** Spike Question **

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by qualitydaydream, Nov 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. qualitydaydream

qualitydaydream Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello 3 Reef Forum Members,

I have just recently purchased a used 180 gallon tank setup with stand, FX5, skimmer, satelite 48", 60lbs live rock, 5 fish, crabs, star fish and a ton of other supplies.

The owner had the tank for 2 years and its last cleaning was 3 months before we moved it to my place. It was dirty.

I kept all the rock wet with original water, didn't clean the filter or anything else we inserted the water and everything into the tank within 2 hours of the move.

we were able to keep 30% of the original water and the dirty sand. The rest of the water 120+ gallons is salt water from the ocean that they truck into the top salt water fish store in Las Vegas, Atlantis.

Tank has been setup for 8 days we run a water test on it every other day.

The fish are doing great, none died so far. Thank god as 2 are large purple Tangs.

Day 2 test showed:

Amonia 0.5
    PH 7.9
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    Salinity 1.021 - 1.022

Day 4 test shows:

Amonia 0.25
    PH 7.8
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Salinity 1.021 - 1.022

Day 8 test shows:

Amonia 0
    PH 8.0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Salinity 1.021 - 1.022

My question is:

Am I going to see a spike with this type of existing setup? Nothing was new except for the 70% ocean water.

Do my levels look like a spike has already occurred?

What is the best way to get my Nitrate to optimal levels, this early in the stage?

I appreciate the help and look forward to posting many pics of the new setup as it grows.

2. Click Here!

3. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

What's up Buddy! welcome to 3reef. Sounds like you had lots of fun moving a tank that size. I'll bet your glad the moves over with. Are you planning on making your tank a reef or fish only?

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I wouldnt worry about .20 NO3, chances are that will settle with some time when you move a setup like that you will get nitrates.

Also I wouldnt use real sea water just because of the fact it's usually polluted fairly badly, hence why we usually stick with RO/Di and synthetic salt

3rd: I'd add a lot of more rock, 60lbs in that size tank isn't nearly enough, I'd have 200-300# if it were me

4th: wheres the pics??

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Looks like you had a little cycle from the move. I would put a lot more rock in there if I was you. (add a little at a time).

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

[SCROLL]Welcome to 3reef!!!!;D
    [/SCROLL]

7. qualitydaydream

Thanks for the welcome guys, I will have pics tomorrow. My wife just told me that there is no way thats only 60 lbs, she is thinking 120+ pounds.

I have not had a salt water fish tank for 15 years, my first was a 35 gal while I was living in Hawaii, when fish died i went to the beach for more. In vegas things are expensive so im watching what I do now.

220lbs of original sand is another thing i forgot to mention.

I already set it up with sea water and that was before reading it wasnt a good idea on this forum.

My better half is not willing to wait any longer before buying fish.

We started with the 5 the tank came with in the last 4 days we have added:

2 x Cleaner Shrimp
    5 little Hermits
    2 med/large hermits
    1 x bicolor blenny
    3 x damzels
    1 x small snowflake eel
    1 x med size angel of some sort
    1 x tiny neon goby

I know I may be lynched here for not having the paitence but my wife bought these fully understanding the tank needs to cycle and that she could be wasting lots of money.

Nothing has died, 100% of the fish are eating. only 1 fish appears stressed but is still eating and looking vibrant.

Am I going to see a cycle?

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Short term gain = long term pain;).
    Short term pain = long term gain:).

10. fishoholic

Risky to add fish, but you knew. Ya never know they might live, If they don't pricy lesson learned. IMO With a 180 gal you should be around 250lbs of rock.

11. qualitydaydream

Sounds good I appreciate the advice and will be pickup up some live rock before thanksgiving.

Yes Purple tangs, I didnt think much of it until i saw the exact same fish at the SWFS store for 125.00 but it was smaller than my two.

I did search through the forums quite a bit and found many cycle questions from guys starting new tanks but not many with the same amount of bacteria rich used materials my tank came with.

This is going to be a reef tank, I plan to do a decent amount of fish, lots of live rock, soft and hard coral. Sounds expensive but my wife is on board with the plan and bringing her purse to aid my wallet.

expect pics tomorrow guys, thanks for your help this forum is top notch!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  12. fishoholic

I'm not sure, maybe someone else will chime in, but I don't think you want to add more rock during a cycle it will only lengthen it, which you don't want with all those fish in there.