New Maxima...but now I have questions..

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Kevin3884, Jun 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Well I got my first maxima clam today...when he got here his bag had been broken :::curse you USPS!::: anyway...he was still alive and I contacted the place I bough him and they said to keep an eye on his foot area, and if that starts to go, then he isnt gonna live....i couldnt really properly acclimate him so he pretty much went right in the tank from the box...he is responding to light, and touch...so my first question is what do you think the chances are that this guy makes it?

My second question is where should I put him in the tank? I have T5 lighting with aquablue's and blue plus...right now i put him on the sand bed..because thats the place with moderate/low flow in my tank, because I have SPS up top that like high flow...I have a Dersa doing great in the sandbed already, and a crocea up top that prefers it up there in the flow....from sandbed to light is about 18"...you think he will be fine there like the dersa?

2. Click Here!

3. T-BASS

T-BASS Astrea Snail

I'm no clam expert but I believe Maximas like to be on rock

4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Maximas need to be placed in the rock. I would start at the bottom and slowly work him high up in the rock work. They are higher light loving clams.

5. Kevin3884

The only problem with moving him higher in the tank is I have a lot of coral in my tank...i dont know what the clam can and cant be around?

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

As long as the coral around him is labeled "peaceful" it will be fine. And yes, maximas are rock boring, so make sure to place him on rock and with high light.

7. Kevin3884

here he is...such a beautiful specimen, I sure hope he makes being shipped with no water for who knows how long :-/

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I would keep him away from the aggressive corals if you have any, otherwise will be fine.

10. Kevin3884

i dont think anything in my tank is peaceful....lol

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

He is gorgeous!!

What corals do you have up high in your tank?

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Awesome Clam... :) Both my maximas are in the sand bed... they seem to enjoy it. They burried their foot and threw out their mantle like crazy big.