New lionfish acclimating now. question

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by sharkyshark, Jan 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

Hi,
    we just got our first lionfish, he's a black one and super bad ass. ;D
    Question, how long to acclimate him for? (one site online said 3-4 hrs? but isn't it ok to do the 5 mins then empty half, then the 5 mins til its full again?)
    so far we did the 15 mins bag float, then have been adding a cup of water every 5 mins since (got in the tank at 1230)
    Question, how do i get this stingy spiny little thing into the tank without spilling any of the acclimation water?

Lady at the LFS said to use a net, but comeon now, you don't use a net with a lionfish...

Please let me know

Jillian
    (oh pics coming after i get the first response ;D)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. abraKADAV3R!

abraKADAV3R! Feather Duster

just do it the way every fish is acclimated and pour him in ur tank::)

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Interesting question. I've never acclimated a lion fish but I don't like to spill LFS water into my tank and can use a net. I wouldn't want to catch a lion in a net. Curious to see what others do, congrats on the new fish!

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

i thought that was bad

6. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

Heres the new little guy

Anyone else have any advice?

Attached Files:

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Unless you have one of those plastic boxes they have in the fish stores, the ones that hang on the tank while they catch your fish, I think the least stressful way to get him in there is just pour him in with that water. I know it's risky but it's what I did when I had my Lion. A net would DEFINITELY be a bad idea.

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

And you could pour a lot of that water out into the sink so you have minimal contamination.

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The best and safest way is to dilute the store water until you are confident/comfortable with releasing the water into your tank. May take longer or be quicker depending on how much you trust the store. Grab the bottom corner of the bag opposite of the way the fish is facing. Turn bag upside down releasing contents into tank slowly.

11. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

I built a plexi box 6x6x4 with holes near the tob edge :) Just tilt box to drain water out and presto your done.

Anyway you could just empty bag into any rigid container, drain off water from that, then add fish to tank.

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Maybe keep adding water slowly over an hour or so, pour into sink as the bag fills, then keep adding more, then pour out again until it's mainly you own tank water, then dump into tank gently?