New lights new algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Mr._Bond, Apr 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

I replaced all 4 bulbs in my PC lighting a couple weeks back, and since then, I have suddenly got an influx of red algae in my tank. I was told by my LFS first to not change all the bulbs at once, and second to let it run it's course as the change in light is probably what sparked the algae bloom. Would everyone here agree or disagree and if you disagree, what other thoughts do you have?
    I've checked the water and have these readings:
    SG = 1.025
    Nitrites = 0
    Nitrates = near 0, but a few still lingering
    Ph = 8.2
    Alk = 10
    Calc = 490
    Phosphates = 0
    Temp running warmer with the weather at around 78 (rather than the normal 76) - working on bringing it back to normal...
    Skimmer still running fine (or so it appears) - fish and coral seem to be fine.

Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I would agree, The new lights were...well new, so they were much stronger. One product that takes care of ref slime algae is called "Red Slime Algae Remover"

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes you definitely don't want to change all the bulbs at once. It is a shock to the corals and adds fuel to the fire with regars to microalgae. What kind of bulbs do you have as far as kelvin? The closer to the red spectrum the light is, the greater the occurrence of nuisance microalgae will be.

5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Hey Mr Bond, what stores do you go to around here (we are both in Denver)? I usually go to Todds Tropical Fish, but there are lots. Sherman Tank, Keys Island, Premier Fish and Reef, South Broadway Tropicals, to name a few...maybe you know of some other good ones I can check out?

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I agree with everyone here, you should of acclimated the corals to the new light. Eventhough 4 PC's is the normal light they are use to, the new ones outweigh the old ones by A LOT. My green tulips and green stars did not come out for 3-4 days when I switched to my MH pendant.

Cyanobacteria will always be lurking. I sometimes have small patches here and there.

7. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

So, should I just let the algae "run it's course" (will it ever run out of fuel and die off?), or should I be actively trying to get rid of it? The bulbs BTW are 2 x 10,000 K and 2 x 420 K...