New Lighting Schedule for VHO & MH

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by gamma, Mar 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Now that I have my lighting system, I wanted to ask you guys about a lighting schedule. It seems that lights are kept on for about 10-12hrs/day. My questions are this:

Do the lights need to ramped up to 12hrs slowly in the beginning? If so, how long should it take? Or do you just keep them on for the desired time w/o ramp up time?

With a VHO & MH setup, should the VHO's come on first, then the MH's? If so, then how would you schedule those? 1-2hrs VHO, then 8hrs VHO & MH, then 1-2hrs just VHO?

I haven't seen any books go over this subject in detail and want to make sure I understand this part.

Thanks!!!

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I've got mine coming on at 7:30 (actinics) 8 am 10k these are PCs mind you.then MH @ 10 am. MH off @ 5 pm then Refugium on @ 6:30 10k PCs off @ 7pm Actinics off @ 7:30. fuge off between 7:30 and 8am.
    It simulates dusk dawn. MH are only on a short period of time as I only have LPS and softies right now

4. NUGIO

If your tank is free of live stock right now run your lights very little or not at all. That way you dont get an algea out break

5. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Well initially, I'll just have some damsels. I would eventually plan to have corals, but that will be later. Since I don't have corals yet, should I still have the MH's turn on or should I just use the VHO's for now?

6. NUGIO

MH are not needed only cause algea bloom

7. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

I am currently running a 130w pc, with the actinic coming on @ 7:30. The 10k @ 8:30. and then the 10k off @ 7:00pm and the actinic off @ 8:15. Everything in the tank seems to be opening up really well. Flower pot blooms and polyps also seem to do well.