New Kole tang not eating :(

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by markie360, Jun 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markie360

markie360 Astrea Snail

I got a kole tang about 2 days ago and i cant get him to eat. Water checks out fine and he swims around the tank a lot. I see him pick algea on the rock often but he wont eat. I have tried feeding him mysis brine formula 2 and freeze dried seaweed. Is this normal for a tang to take a while to get used to his home or am i doing something wrong.

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

its probably getting accustomed to his new surroundings. if its pecking at algae on your rocks , i wouldnt really worry. have you put any nori on a clip? he may go after that .

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It can take a tang a while to get used to eating nori, or any other prepared foods. I wouldn't worry about it, since he's currently eating off the rocks.

BTW, bristletooth tangs eat detritus more than other tangs. So even if there isn't a large amount of algae, I still wouldn't worry.

5. markie360

markie360 Astrea Snail

yeah i put nori in and nothing the other tang destroys the nori but the kole doesnt touch it

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Bristletooth tangs can be like this. How long has the tank been up? If it won't eat any prepared foods, it will eat detritus and algae off the glass and rocks. if it has enough of that, it will be fine. if not, it will starve eventually unless it learns to eat prepared foods.

7. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

Hide a few little pieces of Nori in the live rock. Wedge a piece or two in between two rocks. It will take him a few days to adjust to his new surroundings so it is normal. Mine is real picky and only started eating the expensive Julian Sprungs Sea Veggies Green Seaweed. Once you get him eating Nori it won't take long till he eats like a pig at feeding time.

8. Click Here!

9. markie360

markie360 Astrea Snail

tank is a year and a half old i was told that these guys are hardy anyways so i dont know why iam not having good luck!!!

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, they're hardy compared to other tangs. Definitely not as hardy as damsels lol.

11. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

It has only been 2 days and you have seen him pecking at live rock I wouldn't get discouraged yet. He will eat just keep trying different foods and techniques.

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I've had mine over a year and he pecks the glass more than anything. He will eat mysis and brine, though. He won't touch anything on a clip, brocolli, nori, seaweed, etc. The LFS recommended I buy spriulina-based flakes, but I've yet to take him up on that.

He's doing fine. Good luck.