New kenya tree, not opening up?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Boywithafishtan, Jul 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey everyone,

For 2 days ago, i got a new kenya tree. I have always loved kenya trees, and always wanted one, and my fish store finally got lots of them now :) Anyway, i put it in my tank, and it just doesnt open up. Its like hanging down on the rocks and doing nothing. I dont know if this is normal for new kenya trees, but i'll make sure to keep you guys updated on how hes doing, but for now hes not doing to well :S Is he just shedding?

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Didn't you post this question yesterday?
    It can take 4-5 days to adjust and open up.

Give it a few days and all will be well, they are very hardy corals, typically the "pests" are the easy ones. I would classify Kenya trees on top of my Pest list.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

What type of flow is in the area it is in?
    What lighting was the tree under when you got it, and what type of lighting is he under now? How are your parameters?
    Just trying to narrow it down.

5. Boywithafishtan

Yes, i did post a question yesterday, but i'm still kinda worried. I'm always very nervous when getting new things, and cant stress enough to know as much information from as many experienced people as possible :) I hope it will come back, yeah they grow really fast i've heard, but they're really pretty imo :)! Thanks for the help man.

6. Boywithafishtan

The lighting the tree is under now is probably the same level as it was in the store, maybe a little bit more powerful, but not alot. It stays in a high lighting spot with high flow. It does not completely get direct impact from the flow from my pump, but its pretty close to it. My parameters are really well, i keep acroporas, montiporas, frogspawn, cladellias, mushrooms, duncans, malu sebae anemone and many other things. The parameters from my last testing 2 days ago is:
    Nitrate -> 0 ppm
    Nitrite -> 0 ppm
    Ammonia -> 0 ppm
    Phosphates -> 0.02 ppm
    Calcium -> 440 - 450 ppm
    Magnesium -> 1350 ppm
    pH -> 8.1

So all the water parameters are really good, so i hope this guy will open up soon. I've heard that they can be rather sensitive to changes, and moving, and might take some time for them to get used to it. I just hope it will pop out :) Thanks for the help! If you got any other things that might help this coral, i would greatly appreciate it.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It's not uncommon for some corals to take a while to fully acclimate themselves to their new environment. FTR, my Toadstool took over a month.

The Kenya Tree is less photosynthetic than most corals and will require being fed microplankton, marine snow, and liquid coral preparations.

Kenya Tree Coral

8. Click Here!

9. Boywithafishtan

Yup, already got cyclop-eeze, brine shrimp babies, and marine snow ready for feeding :) My cladellia took a week to acclimate to my system, but it was just shedding. Dont know if kenya trees does that too, but most soft corals tend to be a little slower with acclimation process apparently. It sucks, cause i really wanna see it opened up!

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Keep it low in the tank. They don't like high lighting IMO. Otherwise, just leave it be after that.

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Mine never liked a lot of flow either. Did best in low/med lighting to low/med flow.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Mine is being blasted with a lot of light and it sits next to my MP10 @ 75% power without closing up.