new-ish to corals

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by anb, Mar 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Been in saltwater for a few years now and currently have several tanks... all have been fish only until recently. I have a 24-nano that's been going for a while with a few softies, all doing well. I recently acquired a 200 gal that used to belong to Larry Jackson! ;D (<-- extreme excitement) So far I've only got a sun coral, a small zoo colony (taken from my nano), blue anthelia (most recent), and a nem with a pair of true percs, a purple and yellow tang, a hippo and a lunare wrasse (my husbands choice, not mine)... of course we have big plans for this tank but this latest piece I got has me worried that I may not have the "know-how" for this yet. First day, looks great! Super excited about it! Put it in my tank Friday and took a trip to Seaworld. Came home and took a look at it Sunday morning and about a quarter of it is missing... and it's weird b/c it's in the middle of the piece. Another quarter of it is droopy and just lays on the sand. As I said, I'm pretty new to the coral business and when my hubby brought this piece home as a gift I had no idea about its needs. So I looked it up and I've read that it's a difficult coral to care for... can anyone give me any tips/tricks on keeping this lil guy happy? Is it really a difficult coral? My water is perfect, calcium and phosphate levels perfect. I don't understand why or what would cause half of this piece to go downhill so fast.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hello and welcome to 3reef. :)

Can you specify which coral is having issues please. And if possible provide a macro image, if not just the coral type may help.

Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Also, please provide the following parameters.

Salinity
    pH
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    Temperature