New Hippo Tang Question

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Tykimeister, May 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tykimeister

Tykimeister Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just got a new hippo tang today. I got it from a local trade and the tang is 4 inches long and a fat guy. He has been swimming around all day and getting along with the new fish. The yellow tang didn't like him at first, but now get along great.

The halides just turned off and the dimmer lights are on now. Just a single 10,000k T8. The hippo tang is hiding in the rocks now and he kind of turns to his side and is between a rock and the glass. He is breathing hard now, and wasnt a hour earlier. I poked his tale slightly and he turned around. If he wanted to swim out im sure he would have. But went against the glass again.

I don't want this tang to die cus hes 3 years old and a guy sold it to us for 25$

Is this normal hippo tang behavior or should I be worried that be may not be doing well in his new home?

Water parameters are good. The fish was well fed before we got him. We haven't had any fish die in quite some time. Thanks for any advice.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Congrats! LOL.. Don't worry mine does the same thing day in & out... It lays in between the rocks for protection.. It will even do it when the light are on. You should be fine.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sounds perfectly normal to me Tykimeister

its the fishes 1st day and as yet he does not know if he is on the menu for anything in there
    thus he has made himself as small as possible and tried to hide himself in a small gap

poking to make sure its OK, will only make the fish more stressed and potentially a victim of Ich etc

best to ignore it and it should be front and centre again in the morning

Steve

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I agree, he just sounds stressed. Let him be and he should come around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

Not sure if this helps but my tang is a baby had him for 2 months and thats how my guy sleeps when the lights get dim or go out. He just lays in the rock work. He even has scratches on his face from zipping into his favorite rock that he sleeps in.

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

:laugh5: :yelrotflm:laughy: That's a good one Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Tykimeister

Tykimeister Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow thanks for the quick reply everyone. I will let him be. Like I said, he looks healthy and fine, but I didn't want him to end up dead tomorrow for some stupid reason. I guess I can sleep well tonight then.
    Thanks