New here

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by reefermadness420, Sep 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefermadness420

reefermadness420 Flamingo Tongue

I'm new to this site new to the hobby. I just started my tank a month ago. Have only added live rock and live sand. Its a 55g tank with two t5s two m.h. And two leds for moonlighting. I have lots of questions I need answered if anyone has some free time

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef, ask away. :)

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Welcome to 3Reef! This is the best forum for question as we love to answer them. Feel free to start a build thread and then all your questions can be localized in one spot or you can ask them in the specific forums.

5. reefermadness420

ok for starters. Do I have enough lighting? I have a maristar 4ft with one actinic pure one actinic+ 54w t5s 2 250 12k metal halides and led moonlighting

6. reefermadness420

what will lay tiny white eggs in my tank when i only have micro brittle stars my friend gave me?

7. reefermadness420

I've had a lot of brown algae growing in my tank what can I do to stop it. Also my friend gave me a live rock that had hair algae on it now its spreading what's the best way to stop it

8. Click Here!

9. reefermadness420

i had some hitch hikers on my live rock. just wondering if any should be removed when building a reef. have bristleworms, some small starfish, what looks like mini feather dusters, some kind of tubeworms, and then these unidentified white eggs two groupings are almost microscopic all white look like tiny chicken eggs the other are larger in like a mucus with some yellowish to them. Any ideas?again I only added brittle stars and whatever came in the rock and sand which my local store makes in a giant pond

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes, you have more than enough light. I would rather see a 15k or 20k bulb when you do get to changing out the bulbs on the metal halide.

You have no snails what so ever? If you have snails than most likely snail eggs, other wise I need an image please.

New tanks often go through ugly algae blooms, but you need to make sure the nitrates and phosphates are under control. Use only RO/DI water to mix salt and to top off with fresh. If the problem does not resolve over the next month you'll need to get the test kits for nitrates and phosphates or have the local fish store test for them and get those values, need to know the values.

The small star fish might be Asterina, for now it's probably ok. Everything else sounds normal and does not need to be removed. The item with a some yellowish to it might be harmless sponge. Including images is always an excellent idea.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. reefermadness420

I tested parameters last night. Sg is 1.024 ph 8.2 temp is 76 nitrates are at 20. Nitrites are<1.

12. reefermadness420

gotta get tests for phosphates. and do can you tell me how i can get pics up from my phone?