New Here - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JackRyan, Nov 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

Hello everyone,

Sorry if you saw my post in the introduction forum.

I know there are tons of similar threads on this and I've tried to read them all but would feel more comfortable with my own. I am new to saltwater and have been researching for a while what I would need to get started. Below is what I have or am planning on purchasing. I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions!

First off, I would like my tank to be relatively simple/easy to care fish, inverts and bright colorful corals (not SPS or claims as I've head they are more difficult). The only thing I have purchased at the moment is the 55 gallon tank with stand (4 foot tank). Below is the equipment I am planning on purchasing:

Filter: Eshopps WD-75CS Wet Dry Filter - 10 to 75 gallons - 18 in. x 10 in. x 16 in.

Protein Skimmer: Eshopps Protein Skimmer PSK-75 (made to sit in sump)

Pump: Marine land NJ1800 Maxi jet 474 GPH

Lighting: 48’’ 260w PI aquarium light reef marine (Amazon.com: 48" 260w Pl Aquarium Light Reef Marine Fish Tank Hood Light: Pet Supplies)

Circulation Pump: Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 Aquarium

Is there any other essential equipment I would need to purchase to get this project running?
    Also, I am having a little trouble determining which sand to purchase and what kind or amount of live rock. I’ve heard you need about a pound or each per gallon or water.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion, I hope I'll be able to contribute more in the future.

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I was in the same boat 8 months ago after doing FW for many years. I did a lot of research as well and posting here for answers Hopefully I can help you get started on the right foot since starting on the wrong foot is what causes many hobbyist to jump ship on this hobby.

1) BEST ADVICE EVER!!! Research! Research! Research! and when you think you're done, RESEARCH some more!! Seriously, go through all the different forums and read through all the stickies and comments, use the old search to type in key words regarding filtration, substrate, equipment reviews, etc.

2) Be prepared to spend more money than you thought you would. You can buy cheap and buy again later causing more money in the long run or buy right the first time and be set for many years. You dont need to buy everything at once, to set up you just need the tank, liverock, sand, some power heads, and a cheap test kit for cycling. Lighting, skimmers, etc can come later.

3) Patience, do not rush anything. Things that promise to cycle your tank within a day do not work. There is the main cycle we all refer to when setting up a tank, but many smaller cycles follow afterwards and nature has to take its time to set up an aquarium for long term success. Dont do anything drastic and understand the first 6 months are the infancy of your setup.

4) Try to set up a plan but realize it WILL change. I said no SPS when I started, now I have 3 SPS colonies in addition to all my LPS and softies. Only took me a few months before I wanted SPS. Now Im looking to upgrading my lighting so I can continue to keep more.

5) Most of all this is supposed to be enjoyable so let it be fun. Research everything you buy before you buy it before it ruins your tank.

As for your actual questions about products, I do not believe you need a wet-dry skimmer for a SW tank. Kind of a waste of cash your liverock is your primary biological filtration. That lighting fixture looks to be power compacts, they will work but its not the best fixture. After the tank itself, lighting should be your biggest purchase since it now only dictates what you can keep, but also what your tank color will look like and how things pop. LEDs and T5HO are the most customizable. Metal Halides are HOT and the strongest and PC are starting to go the way of the past along with VHO fixtures. Koralia PH are a good cheaper option to the Vortech PH but do not work on a wavemaker if you are thinking of purchasing one in the future. You will need more than 1 for the 55gal tank though to help preent dead spots.

4. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

5. PghSteeler

For filtration it all depends on what your goals are. If I could do it all over again I would run a sump jsut for ease of use and possible options, but having my HOB filter and all my liverock and sand with good water movement works great.

As for that light you get what you pay for. It may be halfway decent or it may suck, bulbs can always be replaced but you also have to take into account the ballast and the reflectors. Each bulb should have an individual reflector in a good light otherwise most of the light will be wasted. Good ballast also help get the most out of the bulbs and need to last a long time without burning out. Im not sure how true it is but I heard SunTek is going to be going bellyup soon and liquidating their stock. They are good lights but are pulling out of the aquarium industry, this was through a lfs owner who said the announcement just came earlier this week although I have yet to see it online. Aquaticlife, corallife, nova, suntek, all good companies. Stay away from aquatraders (Usually found on ebay)

6. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Consider LEDs as well. Potentially more expensive up-front, but the ROI is pretty good. Less energy consumption, lower heat output, no bulb replacements and modularity for the inevitable upgrade to a larger tank. A broad range of functionality is available and there are lots of DIY options to keep the investment down.

Look at some of the sump/fuge design threads on this site as well. You can probably make a DIY sump that will be quite a bit less expensive than the wet/dry and you can customize the size for any skimmer.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

8. Click Here!

9. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

thanks. lots of information here. i'm sure i'll have more questions soon

10. PghSteeler

11. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

Welcome!!!
    Here are some of the personal exp with points that might be helpful to you. There are always different ways to make your aquarium work.

1)Tank and filtration.
    I would always go with drilled tank with sump hiding under and inside the stand. I thinkk it serves two purposes. one is to provide larger water surface area to promo gas exchange. Also The sump can act as a flood safety if you have a large enough sump, so when power out the sump would hold the extra water flow down from your main tank.
    As for filter, I would not use anything with bioball in there if I am keeping coral as to me it is a nitrate factory. I would suggest to go with just a good skimmer with maybe a refrugium setup in the sump.

2) Lighting
    Alawys reaserch on different lighting systems.Ask yourself some questions before you go ahead and purchase.
    Are you going to be dedicated on swap light bulbs every 5-10months depend on the fixtures? (For eg: Metal Halide is about 8months)
    Are you going to have some kind of cooling system to make sure your temp is stable?
    What is your budget? Make sure you include those answers above into your budget as well. A lot of people forgot about that other than the unfront cost, there are quite a bit of on going expense also.
    What kind of coral you are going to keep? Most people might ask this first, but I usually consider the last point as if you are limited with budget you would limited to what the equipment allow you to keep. If you are not limited by budget, then you should always get the best option even if it means a little bit overkill for the current tank. It just save money for future upgrades.

3)Live stock
    You will need to identify your main purpose of the tank. If you like the fish more and the coral is just serving as a backgroud to the fish. Then I would suggest keep the coral to only softies and you have overstock your fish a little bit as long as you do your water change weekly.
    If you enjoy the coral more than fish, then I would suggest to stock up as much coral as u like(give a bit space for each coral) And only keep 1 or 2 fish.

3) Sand selection
    I think it depend on the live stock you keeping, some fish/coral like the fine sandbed and some people like to keep it bare bottom as it gives you a really clean look. I personally always run it deep sand bed (6") with fine sand. It helps with my filtration as well. However, there is nothing wrong with any selection there, it is just you will change your way of maintain your tank.

Just my 2c, so take whatever you think is helpful

12. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora