New here...from NC. 55 gallon reef (pics)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by BTB0923, Jul 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Well, I haven't updated in a while so I figured I post some pics and ask for some advice. I'm having trouble getting my alkalinity and calcium to balance out. I'm using all Seachem products which I think is making it a bit harder because they seem to be made to push the limits of alk and calc.

Because of the high borate content in the Seachem Reef Salt, the alkalinity readings have to test MUCH higher to account for the additional borate alkalinity that read on a total alkalinity test. The Seachem Reef Salt I use has a really high calcium content too, and I think maybe the Seachem calcium test reads low. I tested with an API test and got a reading of 450 calcium when on the Seachem test it reads 390....?.

Im just concerned right now because to keep my alk and calc up I'm having to dose at very high levels, which I imagine is not good for the corals at all. My calc can jump from 420 down to 390 in a day and what is really troubling is that my alk can jump from 4.5 meq/l all the way down to 3.9 meq/l a day!!! And then I have to do crazy huge doses to get the levels back up. Anyways, I'm wondering if getting my magnesium level up to an extreme level will help me balance my alk and calcium extreme levels. What is the cutoff for magnesium before it risks being unhealthy for my tank? Anybody else have any experience with Seachem products or opinions about them? Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

what is your Mg at?

I keep mine 1470-1500

4. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Its at 1350, do you think that might be the problem?

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

that is not particularly low, but I would try raising that to 1450-1500 or so and see if your Ca / Alk magically stabilizes.

1 person likes this.
  6. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

ok, I'll try that, thanks.

7. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

So I got my Mag up to 1470 and it didn't really help. I'm attributing it to a bad batch of Seachem Reef Salt. Every time I do a water change with this stuff my alkalinity and mag drops tremendously. I did contact Seachem and they were very helpful and even offered to send a "care package" to make up for my trouble, which I gladly accepted. I'm looking forward to the new Seachem Aquavitro Salinity salt that is coming out in early January. Definitely looks promising..they are even putting the test results on the bucket for the particular batch the salt came from. Can't ask for more than that (granted that its accurate).

EDIT: I just want to note that after I contacted Seachem I sent a sample of the salt to Seachem for them to test, so don't think you can just call Seachem and get free stuff without justifying it

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009