New here...from NC. 55 gallon reef (pics)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by BTB0923, Jul 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Hello, I'm new to this site and new to saltwater. I've been keeping freshwater for a few years but I recently decided to transition one of my 55 gallon tanks to a saltwater reef. I've already pretty much got my setup running, but I've been posting the steps on a freshwater forum and I need some advice from more saltwater savvy people...so here I am! See the attached pics for what I've got so far....

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

more pics...

Attached Files:

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

welcome. can't wait to see more pics :D

1 person likes this.
  5. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ok definatley get some more live rock and snails i suggest margarita snails and nassarius snails as well some good starter fish once you get your water squared away is clown fish damsels sailfin tang and a cleaner shrimp

6. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Haven't finished posting pics yet, ;D....

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. divott

divott Giant Squid

welcome to 3reef btb. what type tank will you be looking to keep? fish only or are you going to be introducing corals? because lighting could be a question. is there more live rock to be put in? youre looking good so far. and also full marks for starting off with pics. i think that alone deserves K+. lol

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the welcome!! This RO system has been giving me the most trouble out of everything I've done so far. It produces about 2 1/2 gallons of waste water an hour and about 1/4 gallon of good RO water and hour. Is that normal for an RO unit like this?? I think something must not be working right....

Attached Files:

10. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

I also seem to have a pretty extreme rate of evaporation going on that I would like to do something about. First pic is at the "default" level where salinity is perfect. The second pic is only about 24 hours later....is this a normal rate of evaporation??

Attached Files:

11. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

Thanks! I'll make sure to keep the pics coming!

Thank you. I'm looking to keep a reef tank. I'm going to pick up my T5 light and lunar lights on Saturday. I don't know what kind it is but I've been assured I will not be limited to what corals I can grow. I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell me whether thats true or not...I'll be sure to post pics. The PC bulb for my refugium is in the mail. I was planning on getting more live rock.... I was thinking I would follow the rule of 1 pound per gallon, so I've got about 20 more pounds or so of rock to go. Will that be adequate?

12. BTB0923

BTB0923 Flamingo Tongue

I'm really interested in identifying some of the hitchhikers that have come with my new liverock. I've seen some mini brittle stars already, but there is also some stuff I have no idea what it is. Sorry my camera kinda sux, but can anybody identify these...

Attached Files: