New Here, been Reefing for 10+ years

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Pickupman66, Jul 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Hey All ! just wanted to introduce myself to the crowd. I have been mostly on Reef Central with my local club and found this as a recommendation from an old aquaintance in the reef world. I have hung out with several members here for some time and have learned massive ammounts from their knowledge. Tangster and Crimson Ghost to name a few from the Fishy Frolics Forums.

I have successfully kept a 75 gallon reef for the last 4 years. Below is a photo of it at its best time. Due to my job, it fell off the last year or so due to traveling every week. I changed jobs and sold the entire setup piece by piece.
    [​IMG]

My new job and new house go along with a new tank. This is my new 225. it is 72x24x30 with 1/2" glass. the tank was gifted to me by a member of my local club with the stipulation that I pick it up with all the thing that go with it. this included stand, hood, a 72x24" glass bottom panel, and a 3'x7' piece of 1/2" starfire glass. the reason for the glass is that the end was broken. I cleaned the tank up, cut down the bottom panel and as of last night, resiliconed the entire tank with black silicone from Glass Cages. Photos below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is how it looks today. Sitting empty in the garage waiting on the silicone to cure. I have aquired a reeflo Dart (will run in parallel with my current Gen-x pump)and a PFO dual 250wt MH for it so far. Need one more single MH light for the center and combined with my 440wt vho currently, I should have just over 5 watts per gallon. I may try a 400 on it to see how I like it.

Plans in the works are a DIY skimmer, a 150 gallon rubbermaid tub sump that will be located in the garage, and I will use some sort of Tunze, Hydor or similar controllable powerhead for additional water movement. I have used a closed loop in the past, but didnt want to have it plumbed back to the garage too as we dont want any pump noise in this tank. I also feel I can better adjust this type of flow, and trim it back in the evenings for a more gentle flow in the night time hours, and maybe a wave or random type circulation.

anyways, I will try to hang around a bit and keep yall posted.

thanks,

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

that 75 was a very good looking set up IMHO
    striking growth formation on that Monti

thats a nice sized tank to get back into the hobby with

welcome to 3 reef Pickupman66

Steve

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those of you joining us that are new to the hobby - the best piece of advice you'll get around here as a saltwater newbie is 3Reef's slogan
    "Go slow, let it grow."
    And for those experianced hobbyists joining us - it's still good advice :p
    good luck and post pics soon :)

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Thanks Steve. all growth was under 440wt VHO and I never dosed the tank. Here is a top down shot of that Monti before I sold it. this was in that same 75. 18" wide x 18" tall. this cap was about 8" or more tall and a good 12+" diameter. this is one of my favorite shots.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

that is a incredible picture

for the intensity and consistency of its colour
    and the swirl pattern it has taken in the upper sections

Steve

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in :D

amcarrig (a.k.a. ReefSpinster from the F.F. forum) :D

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Thanks for the pictures, that truely was an amazing settup you had. Best of wishes on the new tank! Thats a pretty hefty sized tank too :)

Oh and welcome to 3Reef :).

10. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Welcome and that is a great Monti!!!

That is some nice clean up you did there looks amazing are you going to Euro Brace it?

What are you plans for coarl in this new tank?

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Awesome!
    Did the fish have any room in there :jester: