New guy... new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by cbc, Mar 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cbc

cbc Plankton

Hello all....

been a pleasure reading the forums here.

I have a new tank 55 gallon collumn. I am wondering how to know if there is enough salt in the water? I have looked and looked and no where have I found this answer. Is it all up to adding the salt to the water before adding to tank? I used Red Sea Salt to start the tank, as I read its not the best but to be honest got a killer deal on it. it recommends 1 cup per 3.75 gallons and I was filling up 5 gallon jug, so I added a touch more, on average 1 1/4 cups per 5 gallon jug.

If all the other readins, ph, ammonia, nitrate, calcium etc... are good am I suppose to believe the water is good for adding fish, and rock?

Thanks all, I appreciate the help.

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hi and welcome.
    You need a hydrometer to test the specific grarvity of your water(how much salt is in it) You can buy a inexpensive but not very accurate one for under $15 these are "swing type" cause they have a needle that umm ...swings.
    The best is whats called a refractometer this is the most accurate, but costs more.About $50 I just bought one from a sponsor here Premium Aquatics and the diffrence between the two was scary.
    Do not add any livestock untill you know exactly what your SG is typical range is between 1.021 -1.025 +/-.003 I keep mine @ 1.025 which is what natural sea water is.

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Heres a pic of a swing type hydrometer

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Nugio is right on, the Swing arm will get you close, but a refractometer is the only way to go in my opinion. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to get mine.

6. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

[quote author=cbc link=board=Newbie;num=1079290619;start=0#0 date=03/14/04 at 10:56:58]If all the other readins, ph, ammonia, nitrate, calcium etc... are good am I suppose to believe the water is good for adding fish, and rock?
    [/quote]

first, welcome, glad to meet you ;)

for a brand new tank, after you get the salinity and the temp set, which i agree with above, refractometer are the way to go, but not a must ;), then you can start the cycle
    depending on what you want, as far as a reef tank, fish only, this will decide the best way to start the tank

for a reef, try to get as much Live Rock (LR) as you can afford, for a 55g i say try to get around 55lbs to 75lbs, more the better, add the LR and this will start the cycle for you, (if you add fish to a new tank, this will stress the fish out and might kill them)
    the cycle will take around a month or a bit more to complete, in either type of system
    for a fish only, get a piece of coctail shrimp and throw it in the tank, as it decays it will start the cycle, you can take it out after a few days(maybe a week)

an feel free to ask all the questions that you want

td

7. cbc

cbc Plankton

great just the info I was looking for! I actually saw one of the SeaTest things today, now that I am reading this post I smack myself for not buying it.

Right now there is only about 15 lbs of live rock in the aquarium now, hooked up with a friend and bought 100 lbs of fiji rock, 50/50 should be here this week. Got a good deal from LFS.

Thanks again.