New goniopora!! Photo added :)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by PghSteeler, Apr 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

So I purchased my first one a few weeks ago and it looks wodnerful!! IT was a ncie green one and I always said I wanted a red one. Well, browsing the lfs I found a purplish reddish gonio that I had to have!

From my research I believe they are a Goniopora planulata and a Goniopora norfolkensis. I pick up the purple one tomorrow;D Plan on placing it next to the green one sohopefully they do nto sting each other, I will have to keep a close eye on them.

Ill have to take photos but for now Ill link to antoher site I used to try and ID them as well as determien proper care.

The Care and Propagation of Goniopora by Justin Credabel - Reefkeeping.com

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'm just curious Corailline, do have like a library of links where you resort to find certain topics?

Can't wait to see pictures PghSteeler.

5. Corailline

I book mark them. Most I have used or reviewed so many times I know right where to look. Thing is that aquarium science and animal husbandry changes pretty quickly in this hobby so new references are always much appreciated. I also have a significant library of Marine Biology, Aquarium Science and Identification books. :-X

6. PghSteeler

Thanks coralline. I do believe they are the same thing as I have read both in depth many times. They use the same pictures and the same author but the one at rk seems to be a more in depth version for some reason. Unfortunately it is the only decent article I kind find on goniopora but I am hoping to be able to duplicate his success.

I know Julian sprung has kept goniopora successfully long term years ago but am not sure if they are still thriving or not. Do you know if he has any writte literature about them?

7. Corailline

Waikiki Aquarium has a wonderful exhibit of older large Goniopora colonies, older as in decades (Charles Delbeek was the curator for some time). Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung do a very nice write up on Goniopora in The Reef Aquarium I, page 445 for those that care.

Goniopora got it's rent a coral label back in the 80's-90's, primarily because they were cultivated in back reefs and experienced periods of notable turbidity and changes in flow patterns based on tides. We tried to keep this Goniopora type in low nutrient systems and had no idea what the corals nutritional needs were.

This sums it up nicely:

The next factor which may play a role in its success is nutrition. Delbeek and Sprung cite the relative similarity of nitrate and phosphate to the iron example above. It seems that relative abundance or scarcity of either compound have had inconclusive roles in the successes of Goniopora in captivity. Clearly, trying to maintain levels and relative stability most closely like the conditions of their natural habitat are likely to be most beneficial to any coral. In other words, intentionally maintaining high phosphate levels which may poison calcification in order to supply a source of this naturally limiting compound to the polyp or its zooxanthellae may not be a proper solution. The same can be said of nitrate, in that high nitrate levels may cause other imbalances in the relative eutrophic conditions of the water. Before looking at other forms of nutrition in more depth, it is worth looking at some more notable examples.

In his presentation at the Western Marine Conference this past July, Charles Delbeek showed slides taken in the field of very large tracts of Goniopora in water that was thick and blurry with plankton. He cited that this was a very common area where such fields of Goniopora would thrive. He also showed a slide of the now famous 20+ year old Goniopora at the Waikiki Aquarium which receives natural sea water from the surrounding area. These may not be at first imminently notable, but there is another astounding example of success. Morgan Lidster of Inland Aquatics has not only successfully kept Goniopora, but has taken in specimens that were beginning the classic Goniopora demise (covered later) and found that they recovered and then flourished when maintained in his systems. This has been a repeatable situation with a 95% success rate with these corals. These particular systems are run on algae turf scrubbers powered by low planktonic impact Archimedes screw pumps. And, I have a long term Goniopora that was initially in a minimally skimmed system that has begun to grow rapidly now that it is in an unskimmed system.

http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/1197/1197_3.html
    The Mystery of Goniopora E. Borneman Aquarium Net November 1997

It's an older article but still relevant. Today you have available much hardier varieties such as ORA's aquacultured Goniopora.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

We need pics!!!! Lol

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

11. PghSteeler

Ok guys got the first pictur of the new coral. Still hasn't come all the way out been stressed out a but. Day one it underwent a iodine bath day 2 a wc and sand added and today is te first day it is totally undisturbed. Nice dark color with an almost blue mouth. Ill post pictures again once it fully expands thinking it'll take a week or so to fully acclimate like te green one did.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Beautiful goni. Congrats man.