New Goby..... Gone!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Hoopastank, Aug 29, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

so I got a new goby this afternoon. I did the correct aclamation him in the tank came watched him for a bit. Went to do something came back a few minutes later and he has disappeared!!!! GONE!!! Can't find him any where. I read that they might burrow. Anyone had that happen to them? Here is a pic!

image.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't do a diamond goby in a 29g, however, yes, he probably burrowed under some rock or something.

4. Hoopastank

Why not? Tank to big to small. I got him for $10 I could not pass him up!

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Should've left him for someone else, and you hould always research what you buy before you buy it too. Impulse buying, even on sale, is not good. I don't mean to chew you out, just that your guy will probably clean all the sand over night then eventually starve and die.

Personally, anything that sifts sand as its main source of food (micro fauna in sand bed) should be left in the ocean, no matter what size tank.

DSC reef and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

longest i have been able to keep my diamond goby in a 120 gallon system was two years, and i consider myself lucky. mine use to readily accept the fish food i make but apparently it wasnt enough, they have a very special diet. yes he probably did burrow. some will argue having a sump with a deep sand bed can help keep the microfauna in your DTs sandbed a little more stable, similarly to pods. but im not sure how much truth is in that.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. Hoopastank

This is something i definitely lack as a newbie. I am quick with the impulse! I'm not taking it as you chewing me out by far, so no worries! I did a lot of research on the clown's before i got them for my tank, should have done the same. Chalk this one off to a lesson learned. I really like the way that he looks, that's what caught my eye. I will watch for him and see what happens. Thanks Va!

I am gong to do more research on what these guys eat, so i have an idea. When I fed the clowns yesterday he did take some brine, then Poof gone!

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Just so you know.While brine shrimp are usually enriched nowadays.It has very little nutritional value so be sure to use a variety of foods.As has been stated the nutritional requirements of sand sifters is very hard to recreate and ime they do not fare well for long especially in small sytems without a very deep sand bed.Even then it is hard to maintain a diverse population because eventually some animals will just do better and outcompete others for available food.Just one more animal added to the list of leave me alone.:(

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    DSC reef and Swisswiss like this.
  10. Hoopastank

Thanks! I have a variety of food that I feed the clowns in the tank. It's all frozen though. I don't use flakes because I was told they are process and not that natural. What do you think about this

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I have been feeding my fish Tetra Marine flakes as part of a balanced diet for over 30 years.Frozen foods are just fine but they do go bad over time.

12. Hoopastank

It's amazing how much there is to learn. I appreciate the insight especially with all the experience! Thanks!