New fuge setup :(

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by MDeth, Apr 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

:confused:

Okay...I'm confused as how we should go about this... For starters, we will be adding a 20"x12"x12" as a sump onto an existing 15 gallon tank. I would like to drill the tank for bulkheads (the 15)...The problem is it's "keeks1127" tank and it has occupants in it. If we move all the water into the other tank and move the existing wet/dry filter onto it and run it bare bottom they should be fine right?

Now, I know I've seen it before here, but can somebody (if its recommended) post a link where i can get a cheap diamond bit to drill it out (as well as bulkheads + size).

Now finally (does it ever end) - what size pumps and returns would you use? I'll qualify that with the fact that we have an amiracle HOB wet/dry atm that I was planning on using as a true sump and then having the 20"long as a 'fuge. Would anybody recommend doing otherwise?

^^ I lied...finally :p what size would you make the stand (it will be built to fit)? We want there to be a shelf under the tank that is at least 6" and then the sump under that. <<How much room should you typically have above the tank (especially if the skimmers cup we have sits 3.5" above the top of the tank)?

Thank you for answering the barage of ?s before-hand...and I promise to get pics of my tank soon!

2. Click Here!

3. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Don't have all yours answers but here's some for starters:
    I got my drill bits on eBay fairly cheap. Search ""glass drill bits"
    A 1" bulkhead should do - they should do around 600 gal/hr.
    If you're custom building the stand - you can never have too much room - IMO overbuild it so you have extra room to work in there.
    Check out this page for ideas: Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

bump...any ideas for height on the bottom section of the stand?