New Frogspawn

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Poseidon27, Feb 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poseidon27

Poseidon27 Flamingo Tongue

Hey guys, I've been reading posts on this site for about a year now when I first started my saltwater tank and I thought it would be a good time to join cause I had a few questions of my own.

I got a new frogspawn today in hopes that my false clown will host it (if not its still an awesome coral for the tank) and I was just wondering how long does it take for it to fully extend again after its been in the tank. Up until now I've only had some zoas and some mushrooms so this is my first LPS. I acclimated it for about 45 minutes, dipped it, then placed it in the tank. I left the lights off for about 3 hours and then turned my two ascentias on. It hasn't been too long but I was just wondering what is a normal amount of time for it to fully acclimate? Its extended a little but not a whole lot. Sorry if this is a newbie question.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

it will probably extend tomorrow or the next fully :)

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

They can be picky at first but if flow is mod, parameters are in line it should open fully within a day.

The clown may or may not reside in it, clowns are weird that way. Mine used to prefer the mag-float over a coral or anemone.

Heads up: Sometimes clowns can kill an Euphyllia by stressing it with too much rubbing.

5. Poseidon27

Wow, I didn't know that. What would be a sign that it is stressing it or if its doing well if the clown desides to try to host it?

1 person likes this.
  6. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

If it deflates, and/or spits out brown stuff...that is not a good thing...if its fully inflated and happy and reproducing...then its healthy

1 person likes this.
  7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

My little FS stayed closed or withdrawn for a couple of days...then BOOM...now I harvest a branch a couple times a year.....mine withdraws/expels and then "refills" fairly regular.
    Agree with previous statements...chill-ax, it will fill up when it gets comfy. : ) ..granted all is well in your tank. ; )

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I guarantee your clown will not host your Euphyllia.On the other hand your Euphyllia may host your clown.
    Dear Lord give me strength.;D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Man vinny, this has been a long hard day for ya bro! I tried, but alas, i feel its hopeless!;)

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Wearing me out!!!!;D;D Sorry Poseidon don't want you to feel picked on. We just have been having a rash of these posts lately.Welcome to 3Reef.Matt is our host.lol

12. Poseidon27

Haha, my bad I didn't realize that this had been asked so much. The only reason I considered the frogspawn was that I had heard some horror stories about keep anemones. I was looking at a nice bubble tip at the store but just wasn't sure so I went with what I considered the safer bet. I plan on having a pretty heavily stocked reef and was told to stay away from the anemones.