new fresh water tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by karlas, Jan 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

after having a saltwater tank for quite a while now i also added a fresh water tank to my collection (basically for the nieces) i took them to the fish store and there was so many choices but they just picked goldfish so im sort of dipping back into fresh water so i might need some reminders from time to time lol. i ordered 2 melon sword plants im gonna try a fresh water planted tank to see how that goes. the kids are happy they have there own fish tank at there aunts house. its only a 10 gallon but enough to keep the kids happy :)

just sharing

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

That's pretty neat. Freshwater is easy but very tiring, as they are much more filthy than marine fish. The planted aquarium idea is actually a good idea to keep the nitrates away. Other than that, pH must be maintained at 7.6 rather than high 8's in marine.

If you were any closer, I could sell ya a jumbo ryukin I am getting rid of. I'm turning the old 20g tank into reef.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i added my purple beta fish and got him a female beta there getting along good shes white with a purple tail (her tails the same color as the male) so they look like a set. i got the plants and added 2 dwarf frogs. im thinking of adding a few fresh water snails so it gives it some diversity, also i found a pair of pineapple swords so its breaking up the goldfish look

5. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Be careful with the snails in a freshwater tank. One snail has the habit of becoming 500 very quickly. When I had freshwater tanks, I loathed snails.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Banana plants are nice plants also. I'd rather have a Royal Blue Pleco or a clown pleco than snails when it comes to fresh water.

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i used to have apple snails a long tme ago and liked having them and ya they do multiply fast. the kids have been asking me about the fish tanks so maby i can teach them sumting ;D the only thing is they keep picking out saltwater fish for there tank lol i gotta say sorry but not that its saltwater so maby one day thell be up and comming reefers

8. Click Here!

9. giopimentel

giopimentel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

me personally, i would use gold fish just to cycle a tank, They requires very little feeding and a lot of cleaning, which most people don't do. Remember if you have a golf fish feed it every 2-3 days and water change bi-weekly.

10. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

heres my snail story, i bought a plant from petsmart and saw this gooby jellie thing on it and was like ok what ever, 1 week later I had 5 snails and every week the snail numbers would multiply by 25 seriously none of them got to be big maby the max was the size of a bean but no bigger, after my betta died from dropsy I got a new tank and had to dump the old one there were at leats 500 + snails and snail shells! Personally I would stay Away from snail! lol

11. OverThinker

OverThinker Skunk Shrimp

Snails do produce rapidly. Be careful with snails if you are going to have live plants in there because the snails will probably eat the plant. Also, be VERY careful with the 2 bettas. Afemale will get along with other females, but not with a male. They will mate and then the male will become aggressive with her. If you chose a male betta you should keep him in there alone with other fish that do not look like him.

12. HolyK

HolyK Plankton

I'd also be careful if you're keeping that 10-gallon. Goldfish need plenty of water, and with so many fish...

I'm going to move my two goldies to a 20-40 gallon soon, and they only have 1 snail as companion. I've just read on so many sites to keep 1 goldfish per 10 gallons, but unfortunately this was after I'd already bought my 5 gal.