New frags !!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by jborlace, Mar 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

Today I went out and purchased my first few frags for my tank. Got some frogspawn with 4 heads, two frags of pulsing Xenia , one mushroom frag and a couple of polyps frags. Also got a Kenya tree. I know sometimes it takes a while but so far none have opened up. Been in the tank about 5 hours. My fish have been doing great since starting the tank so I figured I'd try corals. If it doesn't work out with the corals I'm only out $40.00. 4 bulb T5 fixture by the way.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You have plenty of light.

List your specific gravity, alk, Ca and Mg so we can see if something is causing them to be unhappy.

I would expect some of the corals to start coming out by now. The polyps and xenia may take the longest to open.

Make sure your frogspawn is not in a high flow area.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+1 can you post pics of their locations. I wouldn't be too worried, but that is ALOT of light for most those, I'd guess you should have all that in the lower part of your tank.

5. jborlace

Salinity is 1.024. May be a little low for corals. They are all below the halfway point of the tank. the Frogspawn is not in a high flow area. It's probably also the lowest coral in the tank.

6. jborlace

Three days in and non are opening yet. These came from a 215g 6 bulb T5 setup. Could that be an issue. They are used to getting more light than my 4 bulb.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No that is not the issue, if anything they would open and reach to get more light.

You're going to have to do all the test Ca/Alk/Mg, Ammonia, Nitrates....

Three days in and nothing opening, that is an issue. Best to look at water chemistry first, and then flow, you have enough light for those corals.

If this persist and chemistry is fine you may have do a water change and see if that helps. Stress them more I always say, no kidding.

Any fish that are preventing them from opening by nipping?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

congrats on the frags. Follow the advice and see what your numbers are. What size is your tank?

10. jborlace

Tank is a 55. Ammonia ,nitrites and nitrates are all at 0. I don't have test kits for calcium, alk and mag. I know, I know. I was told I didn't have to worry about those at first since I didn't have any corals yet to use it up. I was originally going FOWLR but after looking at all the coral pics I figured I'd give it a try. I have two pumps. One is a 750 pointing down just a little and a 900 a little below half of the tank pointing upwards. The Xenia I got literally shriveled up and went to nothing before the first 24 hrs were up. GSP was out at first but has closed up tighter than a nun !! I have a clownfish, royal gramma and a coral beauty in the tank. I've watched alot and the coral beauty hasn't even looked at the corals so I don't think it's nipping at em. I have a crab in there that looks like a big spider with the legs sticking out. I can't remember what the name is but the LFS guy said it was reef safe. My tank is only been up and running for about 2 months. I'm guessing it's one of the big three that's off but I don't have a test kit for those. Looking like corals are out for me.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What salt mix are you using?
    What are you using to measure SG?

Crab sounds like a Sally Light foot.

Not the least bit unusual for Xenia to melt.

I would do a larger water change if the soft corals are still closed 4 days later.

Make sure your SG is right though, you should be able to test this by making up some salt mix to the directions and predicted SG per amount added.

12. jborlace

Hydrometer. 1.024. I do about 10% WC weekly but I'll admit I skipped and was going to go bi-weekly. Instant Ocean salt mix.