new frags-help

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by chrisg, Dec 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisg

chrisg Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I purchased my first two frags the other day. A Torch and a green hairy mushroom. I thought I was prepared and everything in my tank was good. Overnight my torch turned to white fuzz. Looked very cottony with a light brown film over the top. Called my lfs. He said as long as the mouth was still active it might still be okay. So the whole thing is now an empty shell, but the mouth with what looks like an eyelash moving in and out is still alive. Ther is no green. It is completely empty inside. :cry: Anything I should do, or any specific reasons I may have screwed up my first corals. I'm so disappointed.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

what are your parameters? how long has your tank been up for? What else do you have in the tank?

4. chrisg

The tank has been up about 2 years. The info at the bottom of my post is accurate accept for the linka star. I no longer have him. PH is 8.2, ammonia 025, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, salinity is.026. I know th nitrates are a little high. We made a denitrator, but it's only been running about a month.

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

If the tank has been up 2 years, you should have 0 ammonia.

6. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

thats very odd.......... have you had your water tested for toxins?

7. chrisg

never have tested for toxins. Does the lfs do that or are there kits I can buy? I'm a little bummed.

8. Click Here!

9. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

lfs might do it, if not try and get some seachem pure, gets rid of most toxins

10. chrisg

My apologies. Apparently, I'm not posting these correctly. Hopefully I've got it now. Thanks for your help. I'm willing to do whatever I need to. Any other ideas?

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

how did the coral look when you bought it...a couple days is kind of fast for it to disintragate that fast I think. White fuzz makes me think it is a bacterial infection of some kind! How big was the frag and do you know when it was fragged? I think (and dont trust me please) that it probably had some type of infection when you bought it...maybe due to poor fraggingHow is the mushroom doing?

12. chrisg

The fact that it happened so quickly is what gets me too. The mushroom is still alive but doesn't look very good. It seems to be getting a little fuzzy as well. I don't know any details about the frag. It is only about 1 1/2". I have alot of confidence in the place I bought it from. They really seem to know their stuff. He offered to replace it, but I need to know if it's my water. Obviously, I'll let him test it for me. Believe it or not, as of last night, the "mouth" was still working.