New Frags falling off LR

Discussion in 'Frags' started by JK901, Feb 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

I got a soft coral frag from a friend and the frag keeps coming off the LR. We had originally attached it using super glue, but the coral keeps creating this mucus membrane until it has basically shed itself from the LR and the glue.

I have done this twice now and each morning both pieces have floated around the tank and are just laying on the sand. Is there something I am missing or a better way to attach them?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Softs are hard to glue I use a plastic tooth pick and shove it through their base then a riubberband around the rock and over the ends of the tooth pick to hold in place until it sets its self onto the rock in a few weeks. what type coral is it ?

1 person likes this.
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

My sentiments exactly as their are certain types of coral that don't take super glue or epoxy/putty very good for attachment due to their mucus! Many soft corals especially!

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

As said above soft corals produce a mucous therefore not allowing it to adhere with glue, it's a pain. I tried this once and believe me it won't work.

Another idea if your not comfortable with the toothpick, you can place the coral on a surface, lay a mesh material (new) over it loosly and either use elastic bands (new) to hold the mesh in place or something else. The coral will adhere itself that way.

I had a ric that got blown off a rock, I tried glueing it, didn't work. I put some creativity into it. I cut up a fish net, placed the ric on a piece of LR, then placed the material from the net over the ric, then I placed rubble pieces of rock around the mesh to hold it down. In a week the ric adhered to the LR and now I have 4 rics there. Also put the frags in a lower flow area so it doesn't get blown around, this will also help it attach to the surface.

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Another Idea

HI,
    I ve had similar problems with frags that are not staying put, SO I made a nursery for them out of a small clear plastic container I likes the ones you get those grapes in or bean sprouts, put water holes in the sides with my handy soldering gun and cover the bottom with pieces of rock/dead coral the frags float around til they find a good spot and lock down then I attach that piece of frag to a live rock or someother spot they usally over grow the small piece on to the big old live rock.
    Hey thats what my LPS does when he's fragging rhooms and sells them for 20 bucks a pop..
    Ouch..
    Doug

[​IMG]

7. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

I tried the toothpick approach and I must have tightened the rubber bands too tight and the toothpick sliced through the coral. I haven't pulled them out to examine, but the toothpicks and rubber bands are still in place.

I will post when I come up with something that works.

If I try the nursery approach, am I correct in assuming you put the nursery back in the tank and the nursery acts as a current blocker?

8. Click Here!

9. smokenax

smokenax Plankton

go to a website named g.a.r.f the have good tips on how to attach softies.

10. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

yes

Hi,
    Yes and it need to be real clear so they can feed on the light. I ve seen mine grow in the little box I put it pretty hight in the tank as you can see its like a portable refuge with a plastic clear lid.
    doug