New Frag of pulsing Xenia Dead??

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oBEA5To, Aug 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey everybody I am new to this site and I am starting up a reef tank so I have quite a lot to learn. Any ways i recently bought a frag of powder blue pulsing xenia online. It just arrived today and it looks dead. I looked up other threads and they just mention it melting but this frag looks like a clump of crap. The zoas from the seller came in great condition but can anyone tell me if it is dead or if it has a chance or what I should do??

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

xenias are funny,finicky corals,i've seen them go from your picture to multiplying in a few weeks and i've seen them melt away never to be seen again.I would leave it and see what happens.Good lighting and med flow are where they like to be imo.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

+1 it looks like there is still some coral on there, so i would wait and see, not that theres much else to do, LOL

5. oBEA5To

Alright how will i know if i should just take it out aka when its completely dead and no hope for it? Or how would i know if its regaining life? will it just start springing up branches or?

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

you'll know real quick,that doesn't look that good, but it may come back, anyways I'd be shooting a pic of that to wherever you bought it, not sure I'd want to pay for that. xenia is a weird coral, most call them weeds and a nuisance, i still like mine, but its getting to be an issue. I bought blue xenia from LA and it did great for awhile, then melted in 3 days while the white pulsing xenia 3"s away was growing like a weed, it is a weird coral.

If it comes back, I would suggest placing it on a an elevated rock or something that it cant touch anything else so you can keep it located in one area, otherwise you may have a hard time keeping it in check if it does like your tank.

Good luck, if it doesn't come back, i'll ship ya some white pulsing pompom xenia for price of shipping only, shouldnt be bad for 2 day priority, maybe $5.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

try 50$

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

nah, I shipped a 4 head frogspawn to seano for $15 and it was a big package, and Biocube is shipping me a birdsnest for about $7. It can be done with corals that dont need to be overnighted;)

10. oBEA5To

I told the guy i bought it from and he said give it till the weekend because it might be just shipping stress but that doesnt look nothing like pulsing xenia.And definetly it is at the highest point in the tank as of now but im kind of doubting this frag.

Yeah that would be awesome!! I really like that look of the pulsing xenia if you can get a price just let me know!

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Put it lower and in moderate flow till it recovers, if it does, then no worries, if it doesn't priority mail to Albuquerque, NM 2 day is $5.15 plus $1.00 for handling;) 2 day should be ok as long as its not hot as heck, if ya want to do overnight, not really worth it for ya. Ya should be able to go to a reef club meeting in a city that size and get it for close to free;)

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

But i see the remnants of blue pulsing xenia, it just melted.