New Fish?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by CallMeIshmael, Jul 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael Astrea Snail

So, Recently i came home to find my biggest domino fish laying in my floor....dead.... First off, he was way to big for my tank, second he was the first fish i got and i kind of rushed to get a fish (We all have that one fish we rushed to get because we were so excited about starting a tank, dont deny) and made a mistake because he was way to aggressive and i never really liked him to begin with, so the whole jumping out of the tank and killing his-self is kind of bitter sweet. Anyway, since he was too big, i never got very many more fish, so now that hes gone, its looking like I can get 2 more fish. (If the Size is right). I have a 30 gallon tank, plenty of live rock (with MANY hiding places) and some coral and 2 clowns. Any suggestions on fish? Random Question: Is there a tang that stays small enough to survive in a 30g tank? Thanks Guys.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hi~

All Tangs require much more space. However, there are plenty of Chromis, Blennies, Gobies, Basslets, etc to choose from.

4. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Nope no tangs... I think they need like 75 min for some tangs.. you could try firefish or blennies! I love blennies. or a royal gramma.

5. dewolfe

dewolfe Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

We love our Royal Gramma. He's very colorful interesting to watch.

6. CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael Astrea Snail

Would a Mandarin be out of the question?

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Pretty much. They have special dietary needs that are difficult if not completely impossible to meet in a 30g tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

For my stocking list (a 29g reef) I will have two pink skunk clowns. At four inches in length (each) they will be of decent size, but are not too large for this tank. They will be somewhat active swimmers, but if they host a coral then after that they will generally stay somewhat sedentary - they won't be as active.

I will also have either one or two yellow stripe clingfish. With a very small size (a mere two inches long at adult-hood), they make great fish for nano reefs. They have an interesting body shape, kind of like a worm. But clingifish require coral and/or an urchin to hide in for protection. They also have a symbiotic relationship with the corals, as they not only use corals for protection, but also eat parasitic bivalves off of the corals (should also eat pellet foods). I think the yellow stripe clingfish is a very unique looking fish, one of the less commonly seen fish in our hobby.

Edit: My last choice of fish (if I only get one yellow stripe clingfish) would be a helfrichi firefish. They are active swimmers and stay just 2.5", making them good for small aquariums. They can be housed in groups of odd numbers (preferably larger tanks) or singly, like in our 29g tanks. This particular firefish is pretty expensive, at about $100, but you can get similar fish of different coloring for much less.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Aside from what I have listed above, basically any small fish would work in your tank. I wouldn't suggest adding more clowns as you already have pair, but I like blennies and gobies a lot. But be ware - certain species will nip at corals and/or clams.

As others have said, tangs are much too big for your size tank and mandarin dragonets (not really gobies) have high food requirements.

If you find something you like you can ask us if it will work for your reef. Be sure to do your research on whatever particular fish you decide on.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011