New Fish Stand for 120G

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Tykimeister, Jul 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tykimeister

Tykimeister Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just purchased a 120G tank last week so its time to build a new stand. Old stand was built for a 30G tank. I got the 120G tank from a guy on craigslist for $100. Included the hood, a light, some base rock, salt, etc. I'm pretty eager to get it going.

So I was going to take pics of building the stand. But today was the 4th and my brother was in a hurry to join everyone outside and we kind of rushed through it. Didn't get any progress pictures, but we got the end result.

[​IMG]

We had to make it 2 feet by 7 feet so the 120G and 30G could be on the same stand. The 120G alone will weigh about 1400 lbs once filled, so we had to make it extra sturdy. Each leg has two 2x4's for extra support, we made the stand only 30 inches tall because the 120G tank is 24 inches tall. I don't want to use a step ladder every time I want to move something around. The bottom of the stand has the cross boards so the fuge can sit on it and not the floor.

[​IMG]

We then moved the stand down stairs and placed it where we wanted it. The cat had to make sure it was allowed in the room. The tank on the right is the 30G that I emptied a little to move it.

[​IMG]

And this is what it looks like now. I filled the 120G with water and salt and let the power heads mix it up. Should be getting some live rock and sand in the next couple days. The fish in the 30G are probably a little stressed over the move. Still need to move a few things around in the tank, but it should be as good as new in a couple days.

This was all built with about $50 worth of wood (with three 2X4's unused). $8 worth of screws. And probably 2 hours of putting it together.

2. Click Here!

3. hddoutside

hddoutside Fire Shrimp

thats pretty cool and you got it all for 100 dollars!