New fish not eating.

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Tenkei, Aug 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tenkei

Tenkei Plankton

Hey guys, yesterday I went to my LFS and he did a water test and everything was good so I bought some fish. I got a spotted puffer, a pink anthias, a watchmen, and a firefish. It seems whenever I get close to the tank they all hide behind the live rock, and when I feed them they won't come out. I know they're all healthy and eating cus the owner of my LFS fed them in front of me. I spent a good bit of money on these fish, and would hate for them to die from hunger. Anything I can do? I'm feeding them shrimp pellets.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Fish do tend to be a bit skiddish for the first few days. Once they get comfortable with their new environment, they should be fine. You should also try a variety; very few fish (if any) can thrive on just one source of nutrition.

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

+1 to what Mr. Bill said. Also, you'll want to stand well back from the tank, or even better, hide someplace and peek at the tank after you feed them.

Was the LFS feeding the fishes shrimp pellets? If not, you should get some of what they've been eating, as they already recognize it as food.

5. Tenkei

Tenkei Plankton

Haha I actually tried to do that. Even then, they will not come out to eat. The firefish has not come out ever since I put him in there. The LFS was feeding it brine/krills. Also, I put in a tiny blue goby, and he just up and disappeared somewhere. Do they hide inside live rocks?

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As everyone is saying, new fish tend to be very shy for the first few days, or even weeks. I would not be worried there.

However, what worries me is the amount of fish you added at once to a new, smaller tank :/ Did you ever confirm what size tank it is (if not, please measure and give us the dimensions)? I would recommend you get a Seachem Ammonia Alert monitor in the tank ASAP as I am not thinking your tank will be able to handle the bio-load of all 5 fish added at once. Have you tested for ammonia or nitrite recently besides?

7. Tenkei

Tenkei Plankton

Yes I brought the water to him again, and everything is good. He said the pH was a bit low, and gave me something to put in. The owner of my LFS said the amount of fish I have is okay for my tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I agree with Marshall.While your tank may be able to support the amount of fish.Adding that many at once will probably result in a mini cycle.I would watch the parameters closely.Also keep in mind the LFS is in business to sell you things so take that advice with a grain of salt.

10. Tenkei

Tenkei Plankton

That's true. I will keep checking the water and making sure everything is okay. He said if anything dies he'll replace it with another since he already checked my water.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

the little goby will hide in the rocks and the fish will hide when first introduced. I agree with others in that that was a lot of fish to add at once. You should really not add more than 2 fish (max) at a time and try to space the additions at least 2 weeks apart so that your bacteria has a chance to catch up to the new bio load needs.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I once had a singapore angel that hid for MONTHS it seemed like. was extremely shy and never took food. Finally he came out and ate. my rocks were spotless by then. I have a Copper banded butterfly now who i have had since june 1. he is still very shy towards me being close to the tank and has yet to take any of my offerings. I have offered everything but live worms.

anyways, dont sweat. if they were healthy in the store, they should be able to go at least a week without eating your offering. just stand back from the tank and slowly introduce yourself to them. given time, they will eat and greet you at the top begging to be fed.