New Fish and Gear

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by whippy, Feb 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Well my little in-tank pump died on the 5g so I went out and got an AC70 and a Rainfords goby. His name is Bemo. I'll grab picks once he's done hiding and settles in. Partially modded the 70 but didn't really have a lot of time to work with. I sectioned off the main chamber and will put some macroalgae in and my heater has been banished to it already but not much more.

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Now I know some of you may be asking why such a finicky fish in a 5g... Well he was on his way to a tank (10g with a mated pair of tomato clowns, bare bottom) that was completely wrong. At least he'll survive more than 3 minutes in mine and I need help with pod control so for now its a win/win.

4. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Haha your lucky you have too many pods...want to send me some?

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Sure thing! Lol. Not a great shot but here he is :) [​IMG]

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hope he does well for you. Those Rainfords sure are cute!

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

So he's just hanging on the bottom of the tank. Lights are off for the night so we'll see how he's hanging in the morning. Good night Pico!

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

So I've been trying to find places to buy live mysid shrimp and other zooplankton online with no luck. Everyone sells them in bunches of 50 or more but in my 5g 50 would he way too much. All I want is a small mixed bag of pods, rotis, mysid etc to dump in :/

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Nice addition Whippy! Those little guys are awesome. Sorry to hear about your mysid/zooplankton troubles. All places that I have seen sell them in bulk. Maybe just shoot a company an email asking to package up something smaller for you? Its worth a shot. Good luck though!

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Good idea norg! If not maybe I can sweet talk my LFS into sucking up some of their critters for me (minus the pumpkin flatworms :/). I'm so glad I picked up the AC70 and not the 50. I used their biopellets, put them in the enclosed netting and am using that for pod refuge in the chamber, threw the little filter sponge from the in-tank pump that died in there too to jumpstart things. Hopefully this works well. Once I put the pellets in I took a handful of empty shells filled with sand from the DT and threw those in so anything living on them is now in there. Even threw a spaghetti worm in for good measure...no real substantial amount of sand though. Waiting to place an order with ReefCleaners to get some of the penny macro and throw that in there. I need more plant life.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

From my experience focus more on greens than pods. my gobies ate formula two ground up and loved it. A little bit of hair algae goes a long way too! Defiantly one of my favorite fish!