New Dremel- Time to Frag!

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Astrick117, Jun 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

So after learning the hard way with trying to frag my hammer and cracking the skeleton with my hard coral cutters :cry: I bought a new Dremel 7700 with a diamond wheel.

Now I am ready to slice up some frags! If you're having a hard time picturing what it will look like when I fire up my new Dremel, check out this link, skip to 1:10 and substitute a dremel 7700 for the metal rod: Star Wars Kid - YouTube

Anyway, my main question is whether there is anything I should keep in mind when fragging with a cutting wheel.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

you need to have some form of eye protection
    I wear glasses and when I used the dremmel to cut frags of torch corals
    the glasses got covered in small bits of calcium etc

so eye protection is smart

Steve

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Good idea. I always do it anyway because I am absolutely terrified of getting toxins and such in my eyes or on me. I don't try to discern between what is toxic and not- I just cover myself regardless.

Is there a specific technique that works well? Do you hold the frag or place it on a table and hold it down? Should it be a slow or quick cut or does it not matter?

5. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

+1 on eye protection. i now live with a problem eye due to being young and cool/knows everything. I used to have perfect vision, but now I have a scar across my right pupil. Been in the hospital a few times getting rust and metal ground off the surface of my eye with a dremel like instrument :S . kinda off topic but figured I'd share.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I held onto the base of the coral wearing a glove on that hand

the dremmel needs to be at a speed that will not snag as it cuts through as that can also result in an accident
    I would test it a few times on bits of rock(that is what I did)

holding the rock in my left hand, and dremmel in right hand, away from my body, and ensuring the wheel is spinning in a direction away from yourself and the hand holding the rock
    that way if it skips off the surface, it is going away from you and not towards you

takes a couple of goes to get confident with it
    once you have the confidence in addition to safety principles in your technique, you will have no problems IME

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Excellent advice for using a Dremel, regardless what you're cutting. :thumb_up:

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Great point. I was going to add this but i dont have to. lol