New Discus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Blue Falcon, Aug 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Hey guys. Thought I would share a pic of my new Red Turquoise Discus I got yesterday. This is the first discus I have ever had and I'm in love. Most definitely my new favorite freshwater fish.

Right click open in new tab to see in original size

[​IMG]

Kinda upset he wasn't centered in my shot but out of dozens this was the clearest.

Canon Rebel xs, F-stop f/5.6, Exposure time 1/30 sec., ISO 800

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is a nice looking Discus! What size tank do you have him in. I've always wanted one or a few in a heavily planted tank with neon tetra's lol.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Beautiful Discus, congrats, they are wonderful fish with their regal swimming ways

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I dont wanna say, the discus police might get after me ;D (33 gallon planted.... shhhhhhhh....) But I have a 55G he can go in when he gets bigger.

Thanks 2 in 10

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Planted tanks seem to be the best for getting fish to color up best IME. I have had Cardinals, Rummynose and Lemon Tetras in tanks with and without plants and their colors were far more intense in the planted tank.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

:drool: I want one. If I ever take apart my vivarium (45 gallon tall aquarium) I know what I'm getting :drool:

How much was it? ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

He was $55 at my LFS

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Wow. 55 dollars would be a steal around here. Thats awesome. I really want some for my planted tank but Im not sure if my resident angel would like that very much. She is peaceful but I could see her getting territorial with a fish of the same size.

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

It would depend on the size of the tank and how well they are fed and how many plants/hiding spots you have. For the most part both discus and angel fish are peaceful but I have heard of angelfish chasing discus into a corner and causing stress. I would hate to buy such an expensive fish and have it die from stress.

12. bearrock

bearrock Astrea Snail

Gorgeous discus! I was looking into adding a small school to my larger tank but the suggest water changes are daunting. Maybe one or two would be a better route.