New Cross Breed Cichlid

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by techno2, Mar 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I believe you are right, Yellow is Kenyi and the other is the peacock. Those are the name I bought anyway. Oh no, they have all been here for about a year now, so no chance of that.

Are you talking about the guy peeking his head from the left ? That is the BumbleBee

\Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

hmm. Thats not a bumble bee.

This is whats generally referred to as a "bumble bee"

Species Profiles -- Crabro

females keep their yellow coloration while males turn completely pitch black.

With the fish selection you posted, I dont see anything that might breed together. unless that "bumble bee" is this:

Species Profiles -- OB Hybrid

an O.B. Peacock. then you have a peacock pair in your tank. Thats what I'm putting my money on. Can you get a more clear picture of that fish?

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I will try,
    I am just going with what the LFS had labeled as a Bumblebee, but your right. Looks more like the Hybrid.

\Shrug

5. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

6. ReefPlayground

yup, thats 100% a peacock.

OB Peacocks are muts. you get them when you cross breed two different breeds of the same species of peacocks. ie: A Regal peacock and a Stevensi. Some will look like the regals, some like the Stevensi and some will come out as OB's if the parents have those genes.

Also remember that juv. peacocks are all colorless. The males begin to develop their colors at around 2"-3". So you could have either a male OB, a male Regal, a male of whatever the parents of the OB Peacocks were, or a female of either one of those.

7. ReefPlayground

And the male kenyi wont necessarily kill other fish fry. Especially if they are much smaller than they are. Adults will not really care for smaller fish (if those adults have been in the tank for a long period such as yours) until those fry reach a size where they might become a threat to the dominance of the adult fish. The fry can be sitting in that nest simply because its being protected by a larger fish that doesnt care for his presence.

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

/\ Shrug
    Well maybe didn't break any new scientific rule books today, but at least my water quality is good enough for them to breed.

I will add the baby into the big tank once he is around 2.5". I don't want Oscar to have lunch after all that hard work.

\Cheers and thanks