New Crocea Clam!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Brandon1023, Jun 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Well I just got this guy tonight. Couldn't wait till morning so here is a pic of it lights off with the flash. Before everyone wants to kill me because he is under PCs, I am going to order this MH fixture in about 3 weeks (June 29th)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Odyssea-36-480W...3245471QQihZ018QQcategoryZ46314QQcmdZViewItem

That is because I have ALWAYS wanted a clam, and am suddenly very interested in SPS corals. Can't wait! But today is my birthday so I got this guy as a gift!! He is SUPER reactive to light/shadows. I just bend down to look at him in the tank, and he SNAPS back into his shell, and then comes back out really fast! Which I have read is a good sign. I've never seen anything other than fish move that fast! He is about 2 1/2 to 3in, so I will buy some live phyto next week when I get paid. Meanwhile I have Kent Marine Micro-vert which is filter feeder food, so that I think will suffice for a week...right? The guy at the LFS was very informative, on top of everything I have already researched. I really trust this LFS, and have bought 4 of my corals, and now this clam, from them. So wahoo!! I will post some more pics tomorrow when he is out! The striking blue is going to add such a vibrance to the tank, I can't wait till I start getting those purple and blue and red SPSs like Acropora!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Very nice. I do see alot of cannon balls around it ^^

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

LOL, yea I have a bit of bubble algae. It hasn't become an issue yet, and never has. Honestly I sort of like it.... Actually I got an emerald crab as a hitchhiker on my Xenia coral a few months back, so he is probably in emerald crab heaven and keeping it in check.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well, from my expirence the emerald crabs will only eat very small bubble algae. They can get very large too. i had one the size of a flip cell phone ha...Right-0 Good Luck with your new clam.

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I do have a question. I have researched these guys pretty good IMO. But one thing I have seen from time to time troubles me. That most starfish will eat clams.....I have a Sand Sifting Star, will it bother the clam? I am doubtful that it will, but just in case.......

7. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

skip the odyssea....they're cheap for a reason. stick to more reputable manufacturers, just my two cents.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes, the pet shop is right in that clams feed on phytoplankton not zooplankton. Remember that clams at that size require food (plankton) for survival, then as they get bigger they require strong light not phytoplankton for success.
    Stars can get into the smallest of areas in which to feed by expelling their stomach out of their body to get in those tight areas, then secrete mucus to kill and disolve its prey, eat it and bring its body back inside.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I have never had a sand sifting star bother clams in my tank.

11. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Does anyone else feel that way about Odyssea? I mean personally I have 2 Odyssea products right now. One is my skimmer, which is doing very well. The other is my 2x96W PC Fixture. That is also doing just fine, and a few of my corals are even growing under it! I think good and bad things can be said for just about any brand. For instance, one of my LFSs was talking about a Coralife fixture someone had just bought. One of the halides burned out in a day and one of the fans was EXTREMELY loud (could hear it clear across the house). I also have a Coralife PC fixture on my tank and have had no problems with them either. I'm just wondering because I really can't afford much more than that Odyssea fixture right now, and I'm lucky I can even get that (I'm getting 3 paychecks this month, so the last one is mostly mine for whatever I want). And who would be a more reputable manufacturer?

12. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Here he is today. I tried to move him, and am glad I was careful because he already attached! So I guess that is where he is staying, regardless of my opinion! LOL. I propped him up a little better with a small rock behind him.

Attached Files: