New Corals Kinda Worried

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by sroberie, Jan 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sroberie

sroberie Plankton

Hey Guys!

I just added a pair of small leather finger corals to my 10 gallon tank that has been up and running for about 3 monthes now. But I added them about 5 days ago and they are still contracted together as if they are scared or hurt. I have checked all of my parameters to make sure they fit the specific needs of the leather coral and they have come out practically perfect. The one thing is that they came attached to a rock and I put them ALMOST up against the rest of my formation and it looks like they may have been scratched or eaten at by the rock. I turned them around so they were not touching anything. I have also added a few drops of phytoplankton and adjusted a powerhead for water flow to them. Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal for them to hide when being set into a new tank? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

It's not unusual for leathers to hide for up to a week after being added. My prized leather stayed shriveled up for almost two weeks and now he's a beauty. I attach a picture but for some reason today when I hit "upload" for the images nothing happens. I have to figure that out. But yes, its normal.

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

first i would say post some pics if you can. second corals can be withdraw for the first couple of days of being implanted into a new tank. but 5 is alittle much. what type of lighting do you have? what other organisms inhabit the tank? 3 months is still a super young tank

5. ptgestimator

ptgestimator Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Does it look shiney/waxy? If so it is going to shed its skin. That's normal when added to a new tank or moved to a different area, lighting or flow. Eventually it will start to shed its skin. If the flow isn't stong enough to blow it off when it starts to do so use a turkey baster and help him along.