New Corals arriving tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Coral' started by omard, Oct 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Corals coming include...

mushrooms, leathers, polyps...

Am wondering best place to start them out in tank... 55 gal tank, two 65 watt 10,000K bulbs, two 65 watt Ultra-Actinic bulbs...

Water params all look perfect...incl. new tests for Ca, P04 & Cu...(taking no chances after first experience w/"colt" week or so ago)

Planning right now to start them all out low and then move them about to whereever them seem to thrive best before deciding permanent location...

Tank...

[​IMG]

"tips"/"pointers"/"reminders"...pls

Thanks,

OmarD

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey Omar,

Take a look at your pic. most of your rock doesn't make it up halfway. That means the strongest half of your light intensity doesn't touch the corals.

If it were me, I'd get more rock to bring the corals up to the light or at least rearrange the rock you have.

It takes some creativity so it looks natural and not like a wall, but judging from what you have done already, I'd say you have that. [smiley=artist.gif]

I would definitely not start them low with the rock the way you have it now. PC lamps are good, but they are not that good IMO.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

matt im gonna give you a little dissagreement there. i would put the polyps closer to the light, leathers in the middle, and the mushrooms lower to middle. i dont have the greatest lighting ever i still have pcs hopefully to get anotehr ballast one day. but this is where mine seem to work the best. but you can place them and if they dont open up move them around you may have to do this with some corals

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ok.

Not much chance of getting more rock before "arrival" - but will start them all on "upper shelf" - where I was hoping to have them wind up anyway..

Om

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

PS...

Up late last night excited in anticipation of delivery of new "arrivals" - in AM.

"Drip lines", pans and buckets at the ready...plenty of "makeup water" standing by.

Spent hours with book, "Aquarium Corals - Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" by Eric H. Borneman. --

An absoulutly beautiful and informative book I found on Alibris.com (used & rare books) for less then $10.00 - someone did not know what they were "giving away"

---but gives rise to thought ("epiphany"?)

Maybe "forum" may like to consider having a book/media "loan"/"exchange" or sale section..is easy and cheap to send "media" thru mail..and I would not worry much about "risk" of "loaning" - "checking out" (for short period) anything I had (which is only one book to date) to any "established" forum member who would like to take a look at it. Others may have old books or "duplicates" that they may like to sell or "trade"...or also not mind not "loaning out"

also just ordered

Reef Secrets: Starting Right, Selecting Fishes & Invertebrates, Advanced Biotope Techniques [Hardcover]
    By: Alf Jacob Nilsen, Svein A. Fossa

Ultimate Marine Aquariums: Saltwater Dream Systems and How They Are Created [Hardcover]
    By: Michael S. Paletta

"Alibris" is a great source for "cheap" used books...

-May seem "redundant" with all the information available on web...but I find it much nicer to sit up late in front of fireplace with a book to read and "dream" with, rather then sitting in front of a monitor pounding away on noisy keyboard.. :)

Rgds,

OmarD

[​IMG]

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Great books and better reading. Good for you. Mushrooms are motile and will move to a better spot if they decide. Happy reading and good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A book exchange is a cool idea. 8)

I wish I had better books, mine are ancient! :)