new coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by billrwilson, Nov 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i just got a big bubble coral from my lfs where it was open real big. when he bagged it it closed up. it has been in my tank now 24 hours and has not opened yet. will it take a couple of days or whats wrong.

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

sometimes it takes a few days to open up.did you properly acclimate your coral?what light was it use to at the lps

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Good Questions. How is it doing today?
    My new Bubble opened up while acclimating and has been open ever since.

J

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I never acclimate corals. From working the industry for so long, I know 2/3 of the chain don't acclimate, why start it now :D

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well, even though its sad...i bet its true...so many companies say that their they wont replace stuff if u didnt "acclimatie" it right...and from where I have worked at...well...lets just say i agree with Gresham :) i do acclimate my fishies and non sessile inverts but corals...not to the same extent

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yes, fishes are acclimated, but not corals, snails, and stuff like that :D Could you imagine acclimating 2,000 pieces of different coral :D

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Gee I wondering why like 75% of the snail my LFS gets die. Gresham for some one who seem to be into the ethical reefkeeping I am surprised. I might be wrong but a coral could probably get most of the way from the pacfic to LA without ever get its first taste of synthetic seawater. So the first half of the chain has no reason to acclimated. NSW is NSW. I wouldn't encourage skipping acclimation.