New Coral Pictures

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Diver_1298, Sep 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

;D I had to post a couple of pictures of some coral I purchased at the wholesaler on Wednesday. ;D
    The corals were listed as Scolymia Green, Brain metallic, Wellsophillia, and Yellow polyp.
    This pic is of the Scolymia Green. I read somewhere that this is really Button Coral, Cynarina and it is often confused with its closest relative, Scolymia :huh:
    What do the experts say?
    I can't hear you! Type louder ::)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

One of these days I'll learn to post multiple pictures in the same message. If it's possible :p
    This is the Metallic :) This guy really flouressssss'ss ;)
    under the actinic bulbs.

Attached Files:

4. Diver_1298

This is the button coral?
    I need to borrow someones coral bible...
    It also has a beautiful [glow=red,2,300]Glow[/glow] under the actinic bulbs.

Attached Files:

5. Diver_1298

This is the only one I am sure of on the invoice.
    Yellow Polyp. This is on a nice piece of rock about 5 inches across. Notice that the hermit crabs and snails couldn't wait to check it out either.
    These are my first ever pieces of coral and I'm watching over them like a nervous mother hen. I even fed them some phytoplankton yesterday morning before I turned on the lights.

Attached Files:

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

OK, I'll take a stab at it :) First pic looks like either a doughnut coral (Scolymia vitiensis) or a button coral, aka cat's eye coral, (Cynarina lacrymalis). When the coral opens up, post another pic and it'll be easier to tell which it is but based on the texture of the flesh, I'm guessing it's a Scolymia. Second pic looks like an open brain (Trachyphyllia). Third pic looks like a type of mushroom coral (Rhodactis) but it's a bit hard to tell. Is it a soft coral or an lps?

7. pdlman

pdlman Astrea Snail

I agree with amcarrig, and the third is a hairy green shroom that seems to be in too much flow-that is why it draped over the rock. Good luck

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You're very good AC!  You too pdlman! Great ID intuition!

10. Diver_1298

I have moved the "Hairy green shroom" to a lower flow location. It seems to like it better there already. Thanks for the insight.
    Jim

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

1st one is a Scolymia IMO.

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Coral;num=1096011168;start=0#6 date=09/24/04 at 12:41:38]You're very good AC! You too pdlman! Great ID intuition![/quote]

How condescending ( Annick will 'get' the joke ). In any case I know that Annick has a LOT of experience even though she doesn't like to expose it often. Corals, I mean corals :)

John