New coral I got for a penny at reef cleaners :-)

Discussion in 'Coral' started by jdameli1, Mar 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I have always wanted to try these so this was a great opportunity to it seems happy I think. Any tips are greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Is that a gorgonian?

4. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Yeah I think it's the purple one

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

give it good lighting a decent flow and it will be very rewarding.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

pretty sure it needs feedings of phyto and small inverts

7. alpha_03

depends on the type of gorg. if its deep water yes, will need feeding, if it's shallow water reef type- feed it light and good flow- it looks like a purple frilly- if it is, then light and good flow and you'll do fine- treat it much like an anemone.

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterBoy

TheSaltwaterBoy Flamingo Tongue

It is a non-photosynthetic gorgonian.I find them all the time in florida. I always see them in an area next to currents so give them lots of flow and feed them phytoplankton since they dont use light for food. Good luck they are very hard to keep.;) Hint: You can tell if they are photosynthetic or not because if their polyps are dark then they are photosynthetic if they are a light yellow or white then they are non photosynthetic. BTW it is a purple sea whip gorgonian.

10. alpha_03

I have two purple sea whips and they are def. not just filter feeders. they only polyp under light with considerable flow, as do my yellow sea fans and my purple frillies- I have yet to encounter a gorg. in aquaria that polyps w/o lighting and good flow- that has been long lived in a any persons tank for a long time. polyp's are usually close to the same color as the gorg itself-except the deep water critters. I have had these guys for several years- easy to care for. Gorg's poylp for a reason- food and light requirements.

I also have a purple feather gorg.- it is difficult to care for- and loves the light, figure that one out.

The one in the pic above looks like a candelbra, maybe a finger or frilly gorg- need a better pic to tell for sure.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Nice looking gorgonian, congrats.

12. TheSaltwaterBoy

TheSaltwaterBoy Flamingo Tongue

No they are definately hard. here is what reefcleaners says about them. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about because all care sheets for these purple sea whips say they wont last longer than 1-2 months in aquaria and they are definetly NON-PHOTOSYNTHETIC heck they even say they are on reefcleaners.