New concept? Mood = Moonlighting (Video Up)

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by insanespain, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ron P

Ron P Astrea Snail

I've been thinking about this:

You know, the sun doesn't just turn off and the moon doesn't just turn on after it. I wonder if this could be used to gradually change the lighting from full lights to moon lights back up to full lights in the morning. That would give the tank a much more natural light source if it could be pulled off. Hmmm...

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

It totally could be used that way. For people that run t5 or halides, you could build a moonlight using 3w crees, and have it come on full power right before the main lighting turns off. Then once the main lights go out, it could do a gradual dimming down to low power like a normal moonlight.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

nobody has claimed to anything, they just are stating their opinion on how it will look or work. i think it would be a good experiment but not on a show tank it would take away from the look way too much. so therefore you asking them to backup their statements is absurd.

5. insanespain

Here he says using colors besides blue can have ill effect on coral. But he never gave any scientific information as to why this could be. He just blew up on his next post.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

I say go for it and see what happens then report back here. lol

7. Ron P

Ron P Astrea Snail

With lots of pics..Lol

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

May be a useful experiment, as well. AFAIK, there is no scientific data on the issue; The only thing I've read is where one self-proclaimed SW "expert" stated that he *believes* that any ambient light in the tank *might* deter normal nighttime activity. He was questioning the use of normal moonlight LEDs. Personally, I saw no difference with or without them in my tank.

I'd like to see it in action and hear the outcome. 8)

10. insanespain

Thanks for the support guys. Yes, there will be plenty of pics. I've got alot going on with work and still trying to get the 65 gallon finished and up and running, but I will definitely be ordering some LEDS and trying to get a crude prototype up and running here in the next couple weeks.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Cool. 8)

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

This thread is hilarious... People get so bent out of shape about someone doing something different...

Personally, I have a reef tank to look badass in my living room... Not to recreate an exact environment. I think my tank glowing red when I want would further look badass. As long as you can change it with a few keystrokes, who cares!! Get creative. As long as you like it, go for it.

Given the type of LEDs you are talking about there should be absolutely no ill effects on your tank outside the same you could get from traditional moonlighting.